WAYNE, NJ – Mayor Chris Vergano gave his daily coronavirus update briefing and stood before a sign that read: “Thank you to All the Heroes Among us.” He was promoting these signs as a way of supporting Passaic County CASA who are selling these signs to raise money for their charitable organization. You can order one here: https://www.passaiccountycasa.org/
The Mayor began his update with: “We've experienced two more deaths in our community to COVID-19. Our death count now stands at 43.”
“I can also report to you that we've had an additional 17 positive tests from today,” he continued. “As a result, the cumulative number now stands at 690.” Vergano followed this up by saying that most of the infected people are home, doing well and some have fully recovered.
“Although the number of new cases is stable today, please don't be fooled into thinking this pandemic is over,” said Vergano. “We need you to keep practicing social distancing.”
The new positive cases announced today include:
- Men: 7
- Women: 10
- Average Age: 57
- Age Range: 26 – 90
Nine residents are being treated in local hospitals now that Wayne firefighter Al Piombo has returned home to recover. See Story
“Welcome home, Al and only the best to you,” said Vergano with a smile.
“I had the pleasure to perform an outdoor wedding that practiced social distancing,” he said. “I want to congratulate Seth and Lauren. I'm sure your wedding was not how you planned it: Outside in the parking lot of your grandparents driveway, so they could watch from an upstairs window. These are different times for all of us.”
He then spoke about the sign on his podium. “CASA is a non-profit group that advocates for children in foster care,” he said. “They are a great organization that helps out kids and they're selling these great signs. I'm sure people want to get them and put them in front of their homes.” To order a sign for your home, visit: https://www.passaiccountycasa.org/
“If you're out shopping today I would encourage you to thank those that are still working and keeping us going,” said the Mayor in conclusion. “We just need to get through this. We're getting closer and we're doing better but just remember we're all in this together.”
The Mayor’s announcements included:
- The COVID Testing site in Passaic County is looking for volunteers. To volunteer, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- He thanked the individuals and organizations who are donating much-needed personal protective equipment
- Click here for a list of food retailers that remain open in Wayne
- Wearing a mask in public settings means that the mouth and nose must be covered.
- The Mayor said that if you see someone without a mask to ask them where it is.
- Do not throw disposable gloves and masks on the ground.
- The WIN Food Pantry is in need of monetary donations to feed the hungry citizens of Wayne. Click here for their website: http://www.winfoodpantry.org/
- He gave an update on the FLAG of Greater Wayne group who are feeding and supporting front-line healthcare workers and first responders. You can find their facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/214967119732121/
- The YMCA is hosting a Blood Drive on May 13th. You must pre-register first: www.redcrossblood.org and use the sponsor code ‘Wayne YMCA’