WAYNE, NJ – During Mayor Vergano’s daily update on Saturday, he provided the COVID numbers for the Township and made his usual announcements. The Mayor also mentioned several of Governor Murphy’s new executive orders that will affect Wayne.
The State of New Jersey has advised us of three new deaths due to COVID-19 today,” said Vergano.
- 88-year-old female died on April 30
- 70-year-old female died on May 6
- 87-year-old male died on April 22
This brings the Township’s total to 134 deaths, according to Vergano.
The Mayor reported an additional 22 positive cases. 16 of these 22 cases were from long-term care facilities and the samples were taken between April 11 and May 5.
Eight new positive cases were from the Wayne general population, which is the sixth day in a row this stat was in the single digits.
New positive cases include:
- Men: 13
- Women: 9
- Average Age: 71
- Age Range: 19 – 98
Total number of positive cases for Wayne residents: 1,215
Total number of Wayne residents who have tested negative: 1,874
“I have noticed that many people are doing drive-by birthday celebrations,” said the Mayor. “They're very nice to see, unfortunately many have forgotten that seatbelts are mandatory for all passengers in a vehicle. If you are standing up through a sunroof, it is physically impossible for you to be wearing a seat belt and we don't want anyone to get hurt while they're celebrating. Please be careful and always wear your seat belt.”
Vergano also mentioned Governor Murphy’s executive orders that he signed this week. These orders included the opening of retail businesses for curbside pickup and delivery, the restart of non-essential construction and elective surgeries, as well as fishing charters and boat rentals.
The Governor has also made the sales and DELIVERY of mixed drinks legal.
“I’ll ask you once again, please wash your hands, please stay away from each other, check on your family, your neighbors and the elderly, and we will get through this together,” Vergano said in conclusion
The Mayor’s announcements included:
- Sweatshirts and T-shirts are on sale with a ‘Wayne Strong’ message. Proceeds will help support Wayne Helping Hands who help to feed Wayne residents in need.
- Passaic County CASA is selling “Thank you to the Heroes Among Us” signs as a fundraiser. Go to their website to purchase: www.PassaicCountyCASA.org
- The COVID Testing site in Passaic County is looking for volunteers. To volunteer, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Wayne Farmer’s Market is open for pick-up only on every Saturday in May.
- Food must be pre-ordered by Wednesday.
- See story for more information
- Click here for a list of food retailers that remain open in Wayne
- Cloth face coverings are required in retail stores and other areas of close contact with others.
- Do not throw disposable gloves and masks on the ground.
- STAY SIX-FEET AWAY FROM EACH OTHER. NO CONGREGATING
- Local food stores have special hours for people at high-risk:
- Stop and Shop is open from 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM everyday
- Trader Joe's is open from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM every day
- Costco is open 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday
- ShopRite is open from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM on Wednesdays
- Jack’s Super Foodtown is open from 6:30 AM to 7:30 AM
- The WIN Food Pantry is in need of monetary donations to feed the hungry citizens of Wayne. Click here for their website: http://www.winfoodpantry.org/
- The Township Memorial Day Parade is postponed to Labor Day
- Wayne day has been moved to September 13th
- The annual shredding event was moved to June 20th
- Primary Election Day has been moved to July 7
- The last day to register to vote prior to this is June 16
- Property Taxes for the Second Quarter are due on May 1. The Township will be waiving interest and penalties for those who are unable to make their payment on time for accounts owing $10,000 or less until Friday June 1
- He gave an update on the FLAG of Greater Wayne group who are feeding and supporting front-line healthcare workers and first responders. You can find their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/214967119732121/