WAYNE, NJ – Mayor Chris Vergano’s daily coronavirus update today was brief as he reported the numbers and gave his usual announcements. He also provided an explanation as to why the death count in Wayne is as high as it is.
“The number of people that have passed away appears high in Wayne,” he said. “It's important to know that we have 12 long-term care facilities. And as I've said from day one, our elderly are the most vulnerable. Although the nursing homes are working as hard as they can to keep everybody safe, unfortunately based on how the virus works, it goes after the most elderly and fragile.”
Vergano then reported one fatality due to the virus: a 93-year-old male died in a nursing home on May 17. One-hundred and fifty-nine Wayne residents have now died due to the virus that has shut down most of the state.
“I can also report we had an additional nine positive test results,” said Vergano.
Five of the nine new positive cases were from long-term care facilities. Four were from the Wayne general public.
The new positive cases include:
- Men: 6
- Women: 3
- Average Age: 61
- Age Range: 10 - 90
Total number of positive cases: 1,330. Total number of Wayne residents who have tested negative: 2,578
“I noticed a lot of people been playing tennis, and that's great,” said Vergano in conclusion. “I know the golf courses are open. I just ask you to please practice social distancing. Wear a mask when necessary, if you're walking about and there's people near you. Stay six-feet away; practice that social distancing. Always wash your hands and check on your family members and the elderly, who are the most vulnerable during this pandemic.”
The Mayor’s announcements included:
- Sweatshirts and T-shirts are on sale with a ‘Wayne Strong’ message. Proceeds will help support Wayne Helping Hands who help to feed Wayne residents in need.
- Passaic County CASA is selling “Thank you to the Heroes Among Us” signs as a fundraiser. Go to their website to purchase: www.PassaicCountyCASA.org
- Free COVID testing will soon be available for residents of Sienna Village, Cisco Village, Summerhill Apartments and the Four Seasons. The testing is voluntary and will happen at the resident’s home.
- The COVID Testing site in Passaic County is open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 9am – 12pm. Anyone can be tested for COVID-19 as long as they are Passaic County residents.
- The testing site is looking for volunteers. To volunteer email: email@example.com
- The Wayne Farmer’s Market is open for pick-up only on every Saturday.
- Food must be pre-ordered by Wednesday.
- See story for more information
- Click here for a list of food retailers that remain open in Wayne
- Cloth face coverings are required in retail stores and other areas of close contact with others.
- Do not throw disposable gloves and masks on the ground.
- STAY SIX-FEET AWAY FROM EACH OTHER. NO CONGREGATING
- Local food stores have special hours for people at high-risk:
- Stop and Shop is open from 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM everyday
- Trader Joe's is open from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM every day
- Costco is open 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday
- ShopRite is open from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM on Wednesdays
- Jack’s Super Foodtown is open from 6:30 AM to 7:30 AM
- The WIN Food Pantry is in need of monetary donations to feed the hungry citizens of Wayne. Click here for their website: http://www.winfoodpantry.org/
- The Township Memorial Day Parade is postponed to Labor Day
- Wayne day has been moved to September 13th
- The annual shredding event was moved to June 20th
- Primary Election Day has been moved to July 7
- The last day to register to vote prior to this is June 16
- Property Taxes for the Second Quarter are due on May 1. The Township will be waiving interest and penalties for those who are unable to make their payment on time for accounts owing $10,000 or less until Friday June 1
- He gave an update on the FLAG of Greater Wayne group who are feeding and supporting front-line healthcare workers and first responders. You can find their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/214967119732121/