NEW JERSEY -- Gov. Phil Murphy reported on Sunday that New Jersey has recorded its highest daily COVID-19 case totals since the pandemic began in early March.
Murphy tweeted that the state had 4,540 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, which brings New Jersey's cumulative total to
279,274 and 18 new confirmed deaths, which brings the state's total to 4,765 total deaths attributed to COVID-19.
"These numbers are ALARMING and continue to rise," Murphy tweeted. "Take this seriously. Wear a mask. Social distance. Stay safe."
Sunday's total new positive cases eclipsed the previous record, set just the day before (Saturday, Nov. 14) when 4,395 were reported. There were 26 new confirmed deaths on Saturday. During the peak days of the pandemic in March and April, the daily fatality numbers were in the hundreds.
"A second wave of #COVID19 is now here. As we begin the holiday season, plan accordingly and keep social distancing and safety in mind," Murphy tweeted. "We MUST redouble our efforts and crush the curve like we did last spring. Our lives literally depend on it."
Top 10 COVID Counties (source: COVID19.nj.gov)
- Hudson County: 413 New Positives. 1,386 Confirmed Deaths. 26,894 Positive Test Results
- Camden County: 400 New Positives. 596 Confirmed Deaths. 14,863 Positive Test Results
- Bergen County: 397 New Positives. 1,837 Confirmed Deaths. 29,223 Positive Test Results
- Passaic County: 384 New Positives. 1,138 Confirmed Deaths. 24,876 Positive Test Results
- Union County: 354 New Positives. 1,225 Confirmed Deaths. 24,156 Positive Test Results
- Essex County: 346 New Positives. 1,942 Confirmed Deaths. 30,216 Positive Test Results
- Middlesex County: 346 New Positives. 1,261 Confirmed Deaths. 25,744 Positive Test Results
- Burlington County: 300 New Positives. 485 Confirmed Deaths. 10,527 Positive Test Results
- Monmouth County: 280 New Positives. 787 Confirmed Deaths. 16,689 Positive Test Results
- Ocean County: 223 New Positives. 1,021 Confirmed Deaths. 18,635 Positive Test Results