CALDWELL, NJ - President Grover Cleveland, a native of Caldwell, was reputed to have liked cookies. Therefore, each year, the Grover Cleveland Birthplace Memorial Association selects one cookie that was around in Grover’s lifetime for its annual Cookie Bake-off at the Annual Fourth of July Ice Cream Social. To learn more about the Ice Cream Social, click HERE.
Judges will be seeking the best shortbread recipe by looking through recipes passed down through family and friends, in old cookbooks and even on the internet.
Bake-off entries must be received at the Grover Cleveland Birthplace, 106 Bloomfield Avenue, Caldwell, NJ on July 4, between 10:00 a.m. and noon. Judging will begin at 2:00 p.m. and the winners will be announced at 3:00 p.m. For questions regarding the Shortbread Cookie Bake-off or the Fourth of July Ice Cream Social, call 973-226-0001.
Rules for the Shortbread Cookie Bake-off are as follows:
- All recipes must be made from scratch. No mixes are permitted;
- Only one entry per person;
- By entering this contest, the participant gives permission to the Grover Cleveland Birthplace Memorial Association to use the recipe(s) for distribution and, if not under copyright, publication;
- No entry fee;
- Entries must include two dozen cookies: one for judging and one for sale. They must be placed on a disposable plate with a disposable cover.
- Entries must include an entry form (see photo gallery) and a copy of the recipe, typed or written legibly;
- No entries that require refrigeration will be accepted;
- Judging will be based upon” Taste (70%), Appearance (10%), Texture (10%) and Use of Traditional Ingredients (10%);
- Decision of Judges will be final (Judges are volunteers);
- Entries must be received by 12:00 noon, July 4, 2015 at the Grover Cleveland Birthplace, 207 Bloomfield Ave, Caldwell, NJ.
- Entries must be a Shortbread Cookie and can be a shaped, rolled, dropped or bar cookie. Other items such as breads, cupcakes, etc. will be disqualified; and
- Loss of 10 points for use of 20th or 21st century ingredients, such as Baking Powder, vegetable shortening or margarine.