WEST CALDWELL, NJ - The West Caldwell Fire Department responded to a fire emergency at the ShopRite supermarket on Passaic Avenue Tuesday morning.

At approximately 9:15 a.m., ShopRite employees reported a fire in the rear of the store. West Caldwell Fire Department Chief Jim Alvine and Assistant Chief Jared Fout arrived to supervise an evacuation of the store. The fire was quickly extinguished. The fire was discovered to have originated from a freestanding refrigerator unit in the meat section of the store.

“Smoke had to be vented out of the store for a period of time,” Alvine said.

Patrons and employees were let back in roughly an hour later. The town’s electrical inspector. construction official and health department officials also inspected the store to ensure continued safety, according to Alvine.