WEST CALDWELL, NJ — Shop-Rite in West Caldwell experienced a small electrical fire this morning that had customers and employees alarmed.

Customers complained of smoke coming from the back of the store. An electrician was performing maintenance on the seafood case when the compressor caught on fire. 

Everyone was evacuated by the time the West Caldwell Volunteer Fire Department arrived on the scene.

Sign Up for E-News

“A small electrical fire started from the compressor,” said Tom Harte, General Manager at Shop-Rite. “We took every precaution to get the customers out as soon as possible. No one was hurt.”

“There was no fire when the fire department arrived, and it was already extinguished,” said Fire Official, John Medina. “The electrician put out the fire with a dry chemical extinguisher.  We then ventilated the residual smoke out the building.”

Shop-Rite remained closed for a couple of hours until they cleaned up and disposed of all seafood and meat according to health regulations.