NORTH CALDWELL, NJ - As part of National Poetry Month in April, Middle School English Teacher James Massa observed "Poem in Your Pocket" Day in his seventh grade English classes. The special day is part of April's National Poetry Month Celebration. The American Academy of Poets declared Thusday, April 24 as "Poem in Your Pocket Day."
Mr. Massa and other Middle School staff shared their poems with his classes and also spoke about why the peoms they read meant so much to them. Mr. Massa shared his favorite poem "Those Winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden which makes him think of his father and the sacrifices that he made for him growing up.
He also thanked all of the teachers and staff who came in to share their favorite poems, he said. The following staff participated in the special event.
- Sue Giordano- “IF” by Rudyard Kipling
- LanayaTorres - “Atrophy” by Lanaya Torres –our resident poet
- Ruth Caputo– “Llama” by Brad Bogart
- Maghoney Borrayo – “Sick” by Shel Silverstein
- Al Longden –“The Female of the Species” by Rudyard Kipling
- Allison Freeman – “This is Just to Say” by William Carlos Williams, “Keep it Simple” by Unknown, and “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost
- Dana Bartello – “Did I Miss Anything” by Tom Wagman
- Catherine Spinella – “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost
- Erica Serio– “Spring Storm” by Jim Wayne Miller
- James Massa– “Those Winter Sundays” by Robert Hayden