CALDWELL, NJ — The Women’s Club of Caldwell (WCC), originally established in 1902 as the Caldwell Borough Improvement Association and changed to WCC in 1921, recently celebrated its 110th anniversary as a member of the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs (NJSFWC) of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC) at the annual Installation Dinner held at St. Aloysius Parish Center. The women’s club joined the New Jersey State Federation in 1908.
WCC president Diane Nestor-McMahon presided over the dinner as guest speaker, NJSFWC President Mary Wolfe, spoke about the friendship among the club members and stressed the difference the club is making on the community, state, national and international levels. Carol Swinburne, the immediate past NJSFWC district vice president of the Liberty District, read letters from the GFWC and the NJSFWC acknowledging the club’s 110 years of service to the the community.
Membership chair Phyllis Kent recognized club members with 40 years or more of membership in the club, icluding: Liz Campanello, June Cowell, Elaine Denman, Chris DiGangi, Bette Schade and Gloria Teshkoyan. Three members received special recognition, including Alice Mattia for 25 years of membership, and Lois Carey and Laura Winter for 50 years of membership.
During the installation ceremony, six new WCC chairs were installed: Maria Peppard, Arts Performing; Amy Kovach and Jennifer Masson, Home Life; Carol Crump, International Outreach; Nancy Howley, Public Issues; and Barbara Tretter, Women’s History/Club Historian.
Vice President Alicia DiMonte gave the closing remarks for the evening, noting the many members present and the accomplishments the club has made in the last 110-plus years.