Questions & Answers from Cindy Egan running for reelection as a Fairfield representative to the West Essex Board of Education on November 3, 2020
1) What qualifications/experience make you the best person to hold this position?
I have been an active West Essex Board of Education member for almost 6 years, I have been on several committees throughout and last year was elected by my peers to the position of Board President. I was a driving force for our Board to complete and attain the status of a Certified Board of Education last year which required several hours of additional training. Each year I attend the NJ School Board Convention to broaden my knowledge as a board member through sessions and classes.
My Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Management and my responsibilities in my professional career including preparing financial reports, budgeting, negotiating, and forecasting have helped me as a board member. I have been actively involved in Fairfield and West Essex throughout my life in various organizations such as: President of the West Essex Football Booster club, Project Graduation Committee member, Girl Scout leader, Boy Scout volunteer, Fairfield HSA executive board member, Fairfield Falcons volunteer and St. Thomas More CCD teacher. I value the importance of education.
2) What three things do you most want to accomplish if you are elected?
- I want to maintain and improve upon the high standards of education and extra-curricular activities at West Essex. My 4 children, the youngest graduating last year, all felt very prepared and ready for college and beyond because of the well-rounded education they received at West Essex. As a West Essex alum myself, I want to ensure that success for all future graduates.
- I want to continue to improve and expand the courses and curriculum at West Essex to meet the ever-changing needs of our students at all levels including the non-college bound student.
- I want to be fiscally responsible to all Fairfield taxpayers by monitoring and being involved in maintaining our school budget.
3) What are the most important issues facing the school district and board?
- Getting our children back into the classroom is first and foremost. The stress and emotional anxiety that our students and staff have experienced cannot be overlooked.
- Maintaining our school budget, all the additional costs associated with supplies and equipment needed this school year while also being conscious of state funding unknowns.
- Keeping open communication and transparency with the community while abiding by the rules and governance of a school board.
4) Feel free to include other information about yourself, although we encourage you to be brief.
I was born and raised in Fairfield, my husband Brian and I raised our 4 children Christen, Emily, Joey & Thomas here as well. We enjoy all that our community has to offer and have always loved giving back through various volunteer positions. I hope to continue to make Fairfield and West Essex a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
Please vote on November 3rd. Thank you for your support & consideration!