ESSEX FELLS, NJ -- A house fire Sunday afternoon caused some damage to an upstairs room of a single-family dwelling on Windsor Place.

According to Essex Fells police, the fire in one of the colonial home's four bedrooms started when a mattress was ignited after it had been leaning against a wall-unit heater.

The Essex Fells Fire Department, with mutual aid provided by engines from Caldwell, Roseland and Verona, brought the fire under control in less than an hour.

The water and smoke damage was confined to the one bedroom, according to Sgt. John Schmunk. There were no injuries, and no one was displaced as a result of the blaze.