FAIRFIELD, NJ — Members of the Fairfield Police Department recently assisted in the apprehension of several individuals who assisted in the armed robbery of a Verizon store in Denville on March 29.

“Not only are our front-line officers fighting the surreptitious COVID-19 virus, but they also continue to be vigilant against the same criminals we face on the streets everyday who are looking to be opportunists,” said Fairfield Police Chief Anthony Manna. “Hopefully this quick arrest sends a very strong message to all those who think that law enforcement can’t do two things at the same time because we can. I am extremely proud of the efforts made by all of our brothers and sisters in blue.”

According to Fairfield police, the Denville Police Department put out a radio broadcast to surrounding police departments advising of several masked, Hispanic males who fled in a vehicle with proceeds from the store.

Sign Up for West Essex Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

After hearing that the suspect vehicle was traveling east on Route 80 in Fairfield, Officer Frank Patierno observed a 2016 Grey BMW traveling east at a high rate of speed and began to follow the vehicle. According to the officer, the vehicle exited Route 80 at Squirrelwood Road in Woodland Park and was ultimately found abandoned and running on Rockland Avenue after a witness reported that two masked men ran through her yard. When the vehicle was secured, proceeds from the store could be seen inside, according to police.

As Sgt. Frank Tracey was patrolling the residential area near where the BMW was found approximately an hour later, he observed a 2012 black Toyota Camry with New York plates circling the area. After stopping the vehicle, the officer found one of the suspects from the robbery sitting in the rear passenger seat. Both the driver and the passenger were taken into custody, according to police.

Moments later, officers from the Woodland Park Police Department pursued two suspects on foot who were seen running through yards. According to police, they were both successfully apprehended.