WEST ORANGE, NJ – The Holidays are almost here and West Orange is getting into the spirit of the season with a host of fun-filled, thoughtful, festive events for the whole family, which are being sponsored by the Downtown Alliance, the township, the chamber, township council and other local businesses and charitable groups.
The West Orange Police Department's Community Services Unit is currently conducting a Food Drive for the needy. Current locations to donate nonperishable items include the Valley substation (549 Valley Road), P/O Timothy Groves Substation (92 Washington Street), Police Headquarters Lobby (60 Main Street), Shop Rite (Essex Green and Our Lady of Lourdes Church. For more information call the Community Services Unit at 973-325-4038.
The Mountain Top League is holding its Third Annual Food Drive to benefit the West Orange Food Pantry on Nov. 24, from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. The community is invited to support those in need by dropping off frozen turkeys and non-perishable items at the Mountain Top League House located at 12 Old Indian Road in West Orange.
On Nov. 25, the community is invited to the West Orange Chamber of Commerce Annual Community Thanksgiving Luncheon, which is being held at Mayfair Farms, located at 481 Eagle Rock Ave, West Orange. Tickets may be purchased at: the Mayor's Office, located at 66 Main Street, Room 106 (inside Town Hall) and CASS Realtors, located at 6 Northfield Avenue. Advanced tickets are $40 and they will be $50 at the door. For more information, call 973-731-0360 or click HERE. Attendees are asked to bring non-perishable foods for the Chamber’s food drive that is benefiting the Holy Trinity-West Orange Food Pantry.
In observance of Thanksgiving, all municipal offices will be closed from Nov. 26-27.
There will be no trash pick-up on Thursday, Nov. 26, but there will be trash pickup on Friday, Nov.27 and Saturday Nov.28.
The Downtown West Orange Alliance is inviting the public to its Holiday Open House on Dec. 5, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The day will be full of activities including the following:
- 10 a.m. to 4 pm – Holiday Bazaar and Craft Show, at the Community House, located at 252 Main Street
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.—Joe Fagan Photo Palooza, at the Community House
- 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.—Guided Trolley Tours, at the Community House (tours every half hour)
- 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.—Winter Wonderland Reading, at the Public Library, located at 46 Mt Pleasant Avenue
- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.—Pictures with Santa, Schedule:
-- 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., at the Community House
-- 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., at the Trolley Tour
-- 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., at the Public Library
-- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., at Supreme Bakery
-- 4 p.m. to 5 p.m., at Don Juan Restaurant
-- 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., The Christmas Tree Lighting with Santa / Mayor Parisi's Parisi’s Old Fashioned Christmas Tree Lighting is taking place on the Town Hall Lawn, which is located at 66 Main Street.
PLEASE NOTE: While the last events for the day (mentioned above), which are sponsored by the Downtown Alliance are taking place, a host of activities will be taking place at Town Hall coinciding with the lighting of the tree. All attendees will receive: complimentary hot chocolate and cookies and dine-in coupons to downtown restaurants (valid only on Tree Lighting evening and good for 15% off entire bill). The Weather Hotline number is: 973-243-1115.
Events are as follows:
- 4 p.m.—Holiday Petting Zoo Opens
- 5:05 p.m.—Seasons Greeting by Mayor Robert D. Parisi, and the Kwanzaa Booth opens
- 5:10 p.m.—Roosevelt Middle School Select Chorus – Set #1 Performance
- 5:25 p.m.—Dance Performance by Unique Performance Arts Center
- 5:30 p.m.—Big Screen TV Raffle Drawing, details are as follows: Free Tickets are available online through Community Pass—only; No Raffle Tickets will be available at the event; Deadline is Dec. 4, at 4:30 p.m.; and Raffle Winner must be present to win, a West Orange resident and 18 years of age or older
- 5:35 p.m.—Roosevelt Middle School Select Chorus – Set #2 Performance
- 5:45 p.m.—Lighting of the Christmas Tree
- 5:50 p.m.—Arrival of Santa Claus
- 6 p.m.—Visit Santa in his Workshop (members of the West Orange Chamber of Commerce and Township Council Members will be participating).
On Dec. 7, the community is invited to the Lighting of the Chanukkah Menorah on the front lawn of Town Hall.
On Dec. 13, The West Orange Hispanic Foundation is inviting all families to share an afternoon with Santa at the Surprises with Santa/Sorpresas con Santa event taking place at the Holy Trinity Church, which is located at 315 Main Street, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. There will be a visit from Santa, a donation of hundreds of toys to the children of West Orange and entertainment. For more information, call 201-640-5133, or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mayor's Program Holiday Party is being held on Dec. 20 at the Katz Civic Center, located at 650 Pleasant Valley Way. Call 973-325-4100 for details.
A Dec. 29, a Senior Citizen Holiday Party is being held at The Manor. Call Patty or Estrella at 973-325-4105 for details.
EDITOR’S NOTE: If any charitable collections or holiday events have been omitted, please kindly sent details to email@example.com and they will be added immediately.
Happy Holidays to All form TAP into West Orange. Click for details to Enter the 'TAP Best Dressed Thanksgiving Table Contest'