These days, we can all use a little levity as we social distance and quarantine. Perhaps celebrating International Dance Day on April 29, is just what the doctor ordered. You do not have to be a professional dancer, or even a good dancer to express yourself through dance. All you need to do is turn on some music and move to the beat and dance like no one is watching. They aren’t – they are home too. There are many ways to celebrate. You can dance inside or outside with your family, watch a dance competition, take a dance class on-line, read a book on dance and more.
If you are looking for some fun things to do while you and your family social distance at home, please enjoy these dance-related activities, courtesy of The Goddard School in West Orange’s, “Things to Do with Kids” column. (FYI: Learn about The Goddard School of West Orange’s At-Home Learning for Infants to Pre-K Students Program here).
- Your toddlers can dress up and take a few Frozen dance class here
- Your kids will love this Freeze Dance Painting Activity (Warning: It looks messy)
- Nonprofit Dancing Without Limits is providing free online dance classes for special needs kids
- Your kids will love these Broadway Babysitters Playhouse Virtual Courses ($10 donation suggested)
- You can watch some Alvin Alley Dance videos here
- You and your families can take a free dance class here
- #TakeARosieBreak with Ballet Instructor Lori Klinger and send her a TikTok or other video of your dance steps using this hashtag #TakeARosieBreak
- The Lion King Will Offer Day of Free Live Virtual Content April 27
- Take free online dance classes from the Kern Dance Alliance
- Enjoy this list of dance books for kids
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
The next time you sit down for a family dinner, toss out some of these facts to spark a lively and informative family conversation. After dinner, look up some of these dates and facts and explore the historical moments as a family.
- On April 25, 1945 – Delegates from 45 countries met in San Francisco to organize the United Nations.
- On April 27, 1937 –The first Social Security checks were distributed on this date.
- On April 29, 1851 – The patent for the zipper was filed.
- On April 30, 1975 – The Vietnam War ended with the fall of Saigon, later renamed Ho Chi Minh City).
- On May 1, 1840 – England released the first 1st adhesive postage stamp.
- On May 1, 1841 – The first wagon train left Independence, Mo. for Ca.
- On May 1, 1883 – "Buffalo Bill" Cody's first Wild West Show took place.
- On May 1, 1931 – The Empire State Building was dedicated.
- On May 1, 1941 –"Cheerios" hits store shelves.
- On May 1, 1951 – Mickey Mantle hit his first home run.
- On May 1, 1952 – Mr. Potato Head was introduced.