In 2016, the West Orange Fire Department continued its proud tradition of answering all fire and medical emergencies in West Orange and assisting in the surrounding areas.
The year started early on January 1st with a multiple-alarm fire on Main Street at the historic St. Mark’s Church. While the fire consumed the majority of the heavy timber structure, there were no civilian casualties and the stone portions of the church and distinctive steeple were salvaged. The church is presently in the process of restoration.
The department responded to over 7000 calls for service from the community during 2016, while the fire prevention bureau and line company officers conducted approximately 1000 life safety inspections, commercial inspections and presented dozens of fire safety programs. Regular training was conducted each day to keep all personnel current with strategies, tactics and certifications.
While continuing to provide for the emergency needs of the township, the West Orange Fire Department also reports that:
- The department took delivery of its new Pierce 100 foot Aerial Ladder. The apparatus was outfitted with state-of-the-art rescue and firefighting equipment and put into service immediately.
- Four (4) probationary firefighters were added to its ranks. The probationary firefighters successfully completed fire and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) training at the Essex County Public Safety Academy.
- Our health insurance billing program continues to allow the Fire Department to provide professional Emergency Medical Services (EMS) to the community with increased revenue to the Township at NO additional cost to the taxpayer.
- The department continues its community involvement and public education programs through:
- The annual Fire Prevention Open House and Public Education Fair held at the West Orange Public Library.
- Hosting the annual rabies clinic.
- Hosting multiple public relation events in the fire houses including but not limited to assisting the Boy Scouts with Fire Safety Merit badges, conducting fire safety education of multiple schools, classes, youth and senior groups.
- The department continues to operate and improve its interoperability with the West Orange Office of Emergency Management (OEM) and an active Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program.
- Hosted a Rutgers University Certified Public Manager Developmental Program.
- Worked in conjunction with the NJ EMS task force to become home to an ASAP, an off road emergency vehicle, that increased our response ability to the reservations and planned events in town.
- Participated in multiple multi-jurisdictional drills.
As 2016 comes to a close, the West Orange Fire Department would like to “Thank you” for the opportunity to serve our residents and let you know that, as a department, we look forward to serving you in 2017 and beyond. Please stay safe and, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (973) 325-4175.
Have a Happy and Safe Holiday Season!
The West Orange Fire Department