WEST ORANGE -- As summer heats up, so does the schedule of sports camps and family events offered by the West Orange Recreation Department for kids of all ages.
Summer officially kicks off in the township with the Sports ‘n’ Games night at the Ginny Duenkel Pool on Fri. June 24, from 5:30 pm to 9:45 pm. Admission is $7.00 for adults and $5.00 for children.
Included with admission is a picnic dinner, soft drinks and two free swims. There will be games throughout the night for children and adults. Tickets are purchased at the door.
The season also marks the start of a number of sports camps through the Recreation Department. Registration is throuth the Community Pass registration system.
- Hoop Dreams Basketball Camp - Open to residents in grades K through 3 and girls in grades 4 through 8. This camp will offer two sessions. Session 1 is June 27th through July 1st and Session 2 is July 5th through July 8th. All sessions are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm at the WOHS Tarnoff Gym. The Hoop Dreams Basketball camp is conducted by WOHS Girls Varsity Head Coach Caniece Williams and her staff. This camp offers a single week or multi-week option. Week 1 is $195, Week 2 is $160 or both weeks is $300. Registration ends at 4:30 pm the Friday before the start of each camp week.
- TripleShoot Football Camp - Open to residents in grades K through 12 and will be conducted from June 27th through June 30th. The K through 8 sessions is 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm and the 9th Grade through 12th Grade session is from 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm. This football camp is led by WOHS Head Football Coach James Matsakis with special counselors and clinicians brought in to enhance each session. This West Orange football camp is geared primarily towards the motivated young athlete. It's directors and coaches are dedicated to the teaching and coaching of football techniques and fundamentals as they pertain to the game today. Registration ends at 4:30 pm on June 24th.
- Mountaineer Volleyball Camp - Open to residents in grades K through 11. This camp offers two sessions: Week 1 – July 25-July 29th, 8am-3pm, Tarnoff gym, ages K-10th; Week 2 – August 1-August 5th, 8am-3pm, Tarnoff gym, ages K-10th. Conducted by WOHS Girls Varsity Coach Jacqueline Cruz is the Mountaineer Volleyball Camp. This volleyball camp is open to players of all skill levels. The focus of this camp will be the fundamentals of the sport and also implementing those techniques into the finer points of the game. Games and contests will also be held during the camp. The registration fee is $150 per week. Registration ends at 4:30 pm the Friday before the start of each camp week.
In addition to those offered by the Rec Department, there are a number of additional sports camps and activities run by other organizations:
- West Orange Baseball Clinic - Coach Zichella and his baseball staff and players as well as the PAL travel baseball coaches run a week of fun and expert baseball instruction. Work on all parts of your game and take part in building up West Orange Baseball. The clinic will be held from June 27 through June 30 from 9:00 am to 12 Noon. All sessions are held at the WOHS Baseball Field and the registration fee is $90.00. For more information, please visit the West Orange PAL or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Future Legends Basketball Camp - Open to resident boys ages 8 through 14. Two sessions will be offered: Week 1 is July 11th through July 15th and Week 2 is July 18th through July 22nd. All sessions are 8:30 am to 4:00 pm at the WOHS Tarnoff Gym. The camp is led by WOHS Boys Varsity Basketball Head Coach Greg Tynes. Registration fee is $225 per week or $400 for both weeks. For more information or to register, please visit Future Legends Basketball.
- US Sports Institute - The Recreation Department has partnered with the US Sports Institute to offer a variety of programs for ages 3 through 11. Options include full day camp, morning sessions and afternoon sessions. For a full list of options, please visit the US Sports Institute.
- Doug Nevins Soccer - Four sessions are offered of this camp. Session dates are: June 27th through July 1; July 11 through July 15; July 18 through July 22 and August 8 through 12. The camp is from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm Monday through Thursday and 8:30 to 11:30 am on Friday. Sessions are $200 per week or $750 for all four. For more information or to register, please visit Doug Nevins Soccer.
- Devore Soccer Academy - Open to residents in grades 7 through 12. This camp will be held from 8:30 am to 11:30 am from June 22nd through June 24th at West Orange High School. The registration fee is $100. For more information or to register, please visit Devore Soccer Academy.
- PAL Football and Cheerleading - Open to residents ages 8 through 14. Practices begin August 1st. For more details, please visit PAL Football. To register for football, please click here. To register for cheerleading, please click here.
- Community House Summer Camp - Various age and week options available. For more details, please visit the West Orange Community House.
- Tennis Lessons - Lessons are offered during the summer for tots (ages 4 -7) as well as junior players who are of the beginner or intermediate skill level. For more information, please visit Tennis Lessons.
- Summer Bowling - Leagues are available for children and adults of all ages. For more information, please visit Eagle Rock Lanes