WEST ORANGE, NJ - As the mercury drops and the leaves start to change, we can enjoy saying goodbye to hot weather health issues like allergies, sunburns and heat-related illnesses. But with the fall season comes new health issues, primarily the flu.
The best way to keep the flu at bay? Get a flu shot. If you’re debating whether or not to get a shot this year, here are a few things to keep in mind.
Flu shots are important for pregnant women and children who are in close contact at school, as they are prone to catching the bug. For them and those with chronic illnesses, the flu can be much more than a passing thing. However, the CDC found that flu shots helped reduce the number of hospitalizations for adults by more than 70 percent, and that number jumped to around 77 percent for adults over age 50.
Looking for a convenient place to get the flu shot you need? Doctors Express urgent care centers are the perfect place for families to get their flu shots before the season is in full swing. With extended evening and weekend hours, clinics are able to serve busy families and keep you in good health all year.
In addition to getting a flu shot, here are some other tips for staying healthy during flu season.
● Wash your hands! Make sure to use soap and warm water. Hand sanitizer is a good substitute if you can’t wash properly.
● Clean objects and surfaces thoroughly with disinfectant.
● Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth, as germs are easily spread through contact with these areas.
● Cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze or cough. Coughing into your arm can also help keep the germ spread to a minimum.
● Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
● If you are sick and have a fever, stay home for at least 24 hours after the fever breaks.
● If you are sick, avoid contact with others to avoid spreading any germs.
Doctors Express Urgent Care in West Orange is a state-of-the-art urgent care center open extended hours seven days a week. Walk-ins are welcome, most insurance plans are accepted, and we offer a comprehensive suite of in-house services that include digital x-rays and on-site lab testing. All patients are treated by board-certified physicians and our wait times are comparatively short. Visit us at 464 Eagle Rock Avenue (across from Whole Foods) in West Orange or call us at 973-669-5900. We’re open weekdays from 8am – 8pm and weekends from 8am – 5pm.