WEST ORANGE, NJ - West Orange Multi Sport, a local resident-run fitness club, is inviting civic- and fitness-minded men and women to join the group and help it make a difference in the community. The goal of the club, which was founded in March 2015, is to create a place for the active 18+ community to get together to support one another in fitness goals. The club is also positioning itself as a voice for cyclists and runners in the community through support for programs like the Pleasant Valley Way Civic Association and other initiatives involved in complete street and pedestrian safety.
The club recently launched its website that includes groups, discussion boards, and an interactive event calendar. In addition, registered members may view a full activity calendar for all fitness abilities.
Right now, West Orange Multi Sport is asking cyclists, runners, triathletes, and hikers from West Orange, and surrounding towns to join the club, which hit 100 members in its first few months of existence. The group said it hopes more athletes will join—especially those interested in becoming part of the team of event organizers.
“Bring your drive, experience, and love for fitness,” said John Fabula, who started the group.
"I can't think of a better place than West Orange to be active outside,” he added. “We have beautiful open spaces, quiet neighborhoods, and hills...lots of hills.”
The club reached a new milestone recently—its first group of “Couch to 5K” participants completed their first 5K race.
The leadership team is currently planning the summer calendar for the first year. In addition to a normal training calendar, there will be some social pub runs, lighter bike rides ending at some local eateries, and a larger event on Main Street in West Orange partnered with enthusiastic local business owners.
"It's amazing to see how positively the community has responded to the new club," said Fabula. "We continue to attract new members each week and I look forward to building the leadership team and forming more partnerships with local business owners."
Upcoming Meetups/Events (click HERE to register as a member of the group and see full event details)
- July 8, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m., (Weekly Evening Ride)
- July 13, 6:00 to 7:05 p.m., meet at Gregory School, (Cycling - Base Building Run)
- July 15, from 6:00 to 7:45 p.m., meet at Gregory School – (Cycling)
- July 17, from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., meet at The Essex Shillelagh Club – (Pub Run). West Orange Multi Sport is partnering with the Essex Shillelagh Club to host its first Pub Run at the Shillelagh Club. There will be two runs leaving from the club; 1) A 5k distance run; and 2) A 6-mile run. All abilities are welcome and the club will do its best to pair everyone up. After the run, athletes will meet back at the Shillelagh Club on the outdoor deck with live entertainment. The evening's menu and drink specials will be listed on West Orange Multi Sport's website as the event gets closer. To register for this run, participant must be a member of the club. Membership is free. Click here to visit the club's website and to register for the event.
- July 19, from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., meet at West Orange High School Track – (Running - Track Workout/Speed Work)
- July 22, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m., meet at Gregory School – (Cycling - Weekly Evening Ride)
- July 29, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m., meet at Gregory School – (Cycling)