WEST ORANGE, NJ — The West Orange Public Library is looking for new library trustees, which the American Library Association describes as “powerful advocates for libraries.”
As part of a volunteer board, trustees are responsible for carrying out duties assigned by New Jersey state law, which includes the following, according to the West Orange library’s job description for the position:
- Overseeing library funds and approving an annual budget
- Helping to determine the mission of the library
- Assisting in the execution of the library’s strategic plan
- Setting policies to govern library operations and programs
- Hiring and evaluating a qualified library director
- Actively seek funding for the library's needs and services
- Advocating for and promoting the library in the community
- Keeping current on library standards and trends
The library director reports to the board of trustees, being accountable to it for proper fulfillment of assigned responsibilities.
Members of the West Orange Public Library Board of Trustees are appointed to a five-year term by the mayor with the approval of the township council. Those interested are asked to fill out an application form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a current resume.