WEST ORANGE, NJ — A $625,000 municipal aid grant provided by the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) and funded through the Transportation Trust Fund will allow the Township of West Orange to make necessary improvements to Arverne Road, Crestmont Road and Westover Terrace.
According to Township Engineer Leonard Lapore, who noted that the Township of West Orange applies annually for these grants, the latest grant will specifically assist in the improvement of Arverne Road from St. Cloud Avenue to its terminus just east of Murphy Court, Crestmont Road from Mt. Pleasant Avenue to Westover Terrace and Westover Terrace from Crestmont Road to Hunterdon Road.
A new curb will also be installed on each of the streets, drainage improvements will be constructed where necessary and all streets will be milled and repaved, he said.
“The work on Arverne Road is a continuation of other improvements recently made to streets in the St. Cloud neighborhood,” said Lapore. “Currently, Lessing Road is under reconstruction with funding from an NJDOT Municipal Aid Grant, and early next year, Old Indian Road from Prospect Avenue to North Edgewood Avenue and all of Ridgeway Avenue will be repaved with funds from the Municipal Aid Program. For the past three years, funding from the NJDOT Municipal Aid Program has averaged just over $600,000 annually.”
Gov. Phil Murphy recently announced that 96 percent of New Jersey municipalities will receive municipal aid grant awards, totaling approximately $161.25 million for 542 cities and towns across the state and $3,094,923 in Essex County to advance road, bridge, safety and quality-of-life improvements.
These grants, which are awarded as part of the NJDOT’s Commitment to Communities initiative, are also the first awards being made under the new “Municipal Aid grant cycle” that the governor’s office said "better aligns with the state’s construction season and municipal budget cycles."
“Our administration sought to deliver a fairer approach to how government does business and this round of grants will, in the third straight year, reach more municipalities than in the previous fiscal year,” said Murphy. “In addition, in the spring the Department of Transportation announced it was accelerating the Fiscal Year 2020 Municipal Aid grant cycle so we could make the awards months earlier than in years past to help municipalities better plan important infrastructure projects. Today, by awarding grants to 542 municipalities in the state, nearly 96 percent of all cities and towns in New Jersey will be poised to break ground as the construction season begins.”
Under the municipal aid grant program, each county is apportioned a share of the total funding based on population and the number of local centerline miles, according to the governor's office. When a town awards a contract, NJDOT provides 75 percent of the grant amount, and the remaining 25 percent upon completion of the project.
The seven project categories eligible for funding include roadway preservation, roadway safety, quality of life, mobility, bikeway, pedestrian safety and bridge preservation.
To see the list of Fiscal Year 2020 grants, click here.