West Orange, NJ -- West Orange Township Historian Joseph Fagan met with Cub Scout Pack 107 of West Orange at the South Mountain Reservation on April 17th. The scouts were seeking to learn more about local history to achieve a merit badge. Fagan displayed a picture from the 1930s as he spoke about the Civilian Conservation Corps camp (CCC) that once existed on the grounds of Turtle Back Rock where the scouts hold their meetings.
The Civilian Conservation Corps was one of the first acts of legislation passed in 1933 by President Roosevelt's new administration. It would become the most popular New Deal program eventually employing more than 6 million young men. By 1938 a total of 2,600 work camps were scattered across the United States in rural locations with one such camp being located in West Orange. The CCC camp located in the South Mountain Reservation at Turtle Back Rock off Walker Road opened in 1934 and closed in 1940.