WESTFIELD, NJ — There will be lots of fun for everyone in Westfield over the Thanksgiving holiday, from free entertainment to bargain hunting to a 5-mile run and even complimentary photos with Santa. Find out what’s happening in our Thanksgiving week guide, below.
1. Work out for free at the Westfield Area YMCA. Nov. 22 kicks off a month of free “Wellness Wednesdays” at the Y’s main facility, 220 Clark St., when members of the community can take advantage of the YMCA’s land and water group exercise classes, swim assessments, open gym/swim and racquetball times and fitness facilities free of charge.
2. Cheer on the Blue Devils: On Thanksgiving Day at 11 a.m. Westfield High School will play Plainfield in their annual Thanksgiving football game at Kehler Stadium. Thousands are expected to root for their teams during this decades-old Turkey Day tradition. The game will also be broadcast live via New Jersey Internet Radio.
3. Shop Local and Save: Why drive to the mall when you can get amazing Black Friday and Small Business Saturday deals here in Westfield? On Saturday, keep an eye out downtown for Santa and Mrs. Claus, who will be strolling around from 10 a.m. until noon, then enjoy music by The Yuletide Carolers, NJ Workshop for the Arts Brass Quintet and The Harmonics during the afternoon, all sponsored by the Downtown Westfield Corporation. As an added bonus, downtown parking will be free Saturday as well as Sunday.
4. Run for it: Burn off Thanksgiving dinner with Westfield’s Annual 5-Mile Turkey Trot and Practice Hard Mile, taking place Saturday, Nov. 25, at Tamaques Park. For more information and to register, click here.
5. Strike a Pose with Santa: Kids can get their photo with Santa and Mrs. Claus at Lord & Taylor on Friday, Nov. 24, from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 25, from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday, Nov. 26, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. A free 5x7 photo comes with your donation of two cans of food for the Holy Trinity food drive. Nominal shipping fee will apply. Additional online photo packages may be purchased. Sponsored by the Downtown Westfield Corporation and Lord & Taylor.
6. Gather ’Round the Town Tree: Head to the Westfield Train Station (North Side) for Westfield’s Annual Tree Lighting ceremony with Santa and Mrs. Claus on Sunday, Nov. 26, at 5:30 p.m. Sponsored by Downtown Westfield Corporation.