It has been an honor to serve the Westfield community for four years as a 4th Ward councilperson. The action that my colleagues and I have taken has continued to make Westfield a great place to live and raise a family. I have acted on my slogan of "Taking Pride In Westfield" by (to highlight a few):
- Paving more roads each year since being elected.
- Managing Westfield's affordable housing obligations (COAH) through 2025 – including keeping high-density housing out of the Armory location.
- Serving on the Department of Public Works Committee and Public Safety Committee to ensure that residents needs are met through paving, road repair, tree maintenance/plantings, improved striping of crosswalks and roadways for pedestrian safety and extending meter hours for more free parking downtown.
- Working with colleagues and town officials to create a 0.0% municipal tax rate for Westfield residents while keeping a $9.5 million surplus and AAA bond rating as a member of the Finance Committee for the last several years. I personally analyzed every line-item in every department to ensure fiscal responsibility!
- Supported and approved promotions in our Police and Fire Departments, including Police Chief Battiloro and Fire Chief Tiller.
In order to build upon my efforts for neighbors in the Fourth Ward and residents throughout town, I seek re-election by continuing to take “Pride in Westfield” by choosing not to put out lawn signs this election season to avoid pitting neighbor versus neighbor and business versus business. My slogan for this election is;
“Think Local! Support Westfield!!”
I am currently focused on representing all of Westfield to collaborate with all members of the Town Council as a bipartisan, independent thinker with the emphasis being on Westfield residents, our downtown business district and our quality of life:
- Provided alternative solutions for PSE&G high-powered 69kv lines. Together, with Councilman Contract and neighbors, we kept these lines out of our neighbors’ residences! I will continue to be vigilant and fight for our neighborhoods!
- Maintaining and improving our parks to ensure all residents, young and old, can access and enjoy improved bike lanes, walking paths, picnic areas and playing fields.
- Ensuring our downtown business district is thriving by making Westfield business friendly through changes in town code and ordinances. This includes promoting businesses to improve daytime foot traffic and exploring solutions for improved parking options. Saving the Rialto and other historic landmarks is essential to our downtown as well!
- Working with local and state constituents to improve transportation options for commuters and residents.
- Seeking alternative/ out of the box solutions with my colleagues and constituents of the town to keep our neighborhoods safe and welcoming for our residents and new neighbors seeking Westfield as their future home.
My wife and I have been volunteering in the Westfield community since moving here in 2002 by actively giving time to PTO's, animal shelters, coaching youth sports, assisting religious organizations, Boyscouts, Girlscouts, 4H, Westfield Memorial Library and so forth. As proud parents of a Girlscout Gold award recipient and soon to be third Eagle Scout, our children have proudly volunteered their services for the Westfield community as well.
I believe in integrity and honesty. I will continue to do the research, get the facts, ask the uncomfortable questions to make informed decisions, not popular ones! I truly take pride in Westfield, think local and represent not just the 4th Ward, but all of Westfield!
I appreciate your support on November 5th - Vote Stokes!