WESTFIELD, NJ — An electrical malfunction sparked a fire that burned the exterior of a home at 1166 Lawrence Avenue Wednesday and caused smoke damage throughout the residence, a fire official said.

Battalion Chief Scott Miller said firefighters extinguished the primary blaze within 15 minutes and remained on the scene to ensure the fire had not spread. Shortly before 5:12 p.m., the fire had lit up mulch and shrubbery outside the residence before spreading to the wood siding, Miller said.

“We had to do some extensive checking to make sure that the fire hadn’t extended further into the house,” Miller said. “We also had smoke in the house that we had to ventilate.”

Sign Up for Westfield Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Nobody was injured and the home remains habitable, Miller said. Cranford and Springfield fire departments provided mutual aid, he said.

Email Matt Kadosh at mkadosh@tapinto.net | Twitter: @MattKadosh

Read More Westfield NJ Local News

MORE: Baseball Returns: Westfield Shuts Out Scotch Plains 7-0 in ‘Last Dance’ Tourney
MORE: TAPinto Westfield Joins Statewide Effort to Remember Those Loved and Lost to COVID-19

Find TAPinto Westfield on Facebook and Twitter. Sign up for email news alerts and Download the TAPinto mobile app for Android or iOS.

Are you a business interested in reaching our audience? Contact Jackie Lieberman at jlieberman@tapinto.net.