WESTFIELD, NJ— According to the County of Union, the state of New Jersey is currently in the grip of one of the worst flu seasons in recent memory. To protect yourself and others, the county is recommending you:
1. Get a flu shot.
2. Wash your hands when applicable and possible.
3. Always cover your cough.
4. Stay home if you feel sick.
5. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
6. Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
7. If you or your child gets sick with a respiratory illness, including flu, limit contact with others as much as possible to help prevent spreading illness. Keep your child home for at least 24 hours after fever is gone except to seek medical care or for other necessities.
8. If an outbreak of flu or another illness occurs, follow public health advice. This may include information about how to increase distance between people and other measures.
The flu vaccine is available in Westfield at Tiffany Natural Pharmacy at 1115 South Avenue West, Walgreens at 260 North Avenue East and CVS at 210 South Avenue West.
For more information and to find more locations where the flu vaccine is available near you, click here.
According to Union County, people infected with flu may be able to infect others beginning one day before symptoms develop and up to seven days after becoming sick. Young children, those who are severely ill and those with severely weakened immune systems may be able to infect others for even longer.