Westfield Area Y summer campers develop new skills through fun and meaningful experiences.
Credits: Westfield Area Y
The Westfield Area Y understands your top priority is your children. Choosing a summertime program is something that needs to be considered carefully as camp provides a wonderful opportunity for children to develop new skills, new friends, confidence and self-esteem.
There are many options for parents as they choose a camp for their child. Determining when children are ready to go to camp and finding the best match can be a very difficult decision for parents.
Camping experts from the Westfield Area Y offer the following tips to help parents choose the camping experience that’s best for them:
- Know your options. When looking for a camp, parents should choose American Camp Association (ACA) accredited camps. They meet the highest standards.
- Know if flexibility is an option. Can you sign up by the week and choose half or full days during the summer months?
- Know your wants. Parents should consider what they want for their child from the camp experience, e.g. a vacation from school or an opportunity to develop new skills through fun and meaningful experiences.
- Know the camp. Call and ask questions about staff training, all-inclusive pricing, trips, special events, ratios, activities, policies and safety procedures. If there an EMT on staff? Are staff CPR and First Aid Certified?
- Know what activities your child is interested in. Include your child in the decision making process.
Westfield Area Y camp staff are available to help parents pick the right camp experience for their child. A helpful Parent Resource Summer Day Camp Checklist is available at http://www.westfieldynj.org/sites/default/files/attachments/dual_page/camp_parent_resource.pdf
Westfield Area Y camps are ACA-accredited and are built around the core values of caring honesty, respect and responsibility. Each of these values is considered and incorporated in every step of the planning process.
Limited spots are still available. Visit www.westfieldynj.org
for more information on the 2016 Summer Camp Program. Financial assistance is available to those who qualify.
The Y is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify. Learn more at www.westfieldynj.org.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.