WESTFIELD, NJ — The tenants who live in a multi-family home on Cacciola Place between Central Avenue and Stirling Place will have to sleep someplace else tonight after a cooking fire damaged the second-floor apartment Tuesday morning.

Alex Hawkins, who lives on the first floor, was there with her 6-year-old son. She said she was about to take him food shopping around 10:40 a.m. when she heard the alarm. Soon, a neighbor came tapping on the door to warn them it that it wasn’t just smoke from someone’s toaster setting it off this time.

“We were lucky we were home. I have two dogs,” said Hawkins.

Sign Up for E-News

Battalion Chief Robert Buccino of the Westfield Fire Department said that the fire was under control within 45 minutes of their arrival at approximately 10:50 a.m. and contained to the kitchen. No one was hurt.

Although her apartment appeared to be completely undamaged, Hawkins was told it would be at least two days before she could re-enter it to retrieve some of her belongings. For now, she, her son and her husband will stay with her mother.

A man who lives in the third-floor apartment said he was waiting for the Red Cross to help him find a place to stay.