UNION, NJ — A Kenilworth firefighter experienced difficulty breathing while fighting a brush fire at Galloping Hill Golf Course Sunday and was transferred to Saint Barnabas Medical Center for treatment, according to to the Union Fire Department.
The firefighter was deep into the wooded area at the time. It took a coordinated effort with multiple agencies directed by the Union Fire Department to remove him.
According to authorities at the Union Fire Department, the firefighter was treated and released. Union Firefighters stood by at the scene most of the night to maintain a fire watch in the event of any flair-ups. They returned Monday to retrieve hoses and other equipment.
The brush fire began around 2:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon in a brush and forest area on the golf course bordering Fairway Drive, Chestnut Street and the Garden State Parkway. The fire was in a deep-seeded section of the County property, requiring firefighters to go deep into the area, through streams, mud and swampy areas. The fire was difficult to contain due to high grasses and high winds, according to the fire department. The firefighters worked throughout the late evening to extinguish pockets of smoldering brush.