First impressions are lasting. So it makes sense that to get the best value when selling your home, you should start with its curb appeal to entice potential buyers to come inside your home. When likely buyers enter the front door, you want them to realize this is the home for them to create new memories.
A Realtor can help you to identify small household changes, both outside and in, that will make your home feel more livable. This will make a big difference when you put your house on the market.
To enhance the overall ambience of your home, here are some tried-and-true staging tips that you can do relatively cheaply and quickly.
Staging Tips to Improve Curb Appeal
- Sweep front walkway and driveway; put out a welcome mat.
- Pressure-wash the front walkway and driveway.
- Remove newspapers, bikes, and toys.
- Park extra cars away from the property.
- Trim shrubs, mow lawn frequently, and plant flowers.
- Apply fresh, clean paint.
- Clean windows and window coverings.
- Inspect roof and gutters, and repair as needed.
- Keep window treatments equal: blinds at same length and curtains should appear to be the same color from outside.
Staging Tips to Improve the Interior of Your Home
- Kitchen and bathrooms should shine; toilet seats down.
- Keep plumbing and appliances in working order.
- Clean carpets; remove spots.
- Repair worn sealants around windows, tubs, showers, and sinks.
- Place fresh flowers in main rooms.
- Put dishes away (unless setting a formal display for decoration).
- Make beds and put clothes away.
- Organize closets and clear out clutter.
- Move (unnecessary) heavy furniture to storage to enhance the spaciousness of each room.
- Declutter built-in bookshelves to showcase shelves, not your belongings.
- Open drapes and turn on lights for a brighter feel.
- Put toys away and minimize personal photos.
- Turn off television; play soft music on radio/stereo.
- Keep pets out of way; ensure pet areas are clean and odor-free.
- Secure jewelry, cash, prescription medication, and other valuables.
Other Important Reminders and Suggestions
- Consult a professional; she’ll have an objective eye and can see your home from the buyer’s perspective.
- Potential buyers usually feel more comfortable if the owners are not present when touring the house.
- If people, unaccompanied by an agent, request to see your property, refer them to a real estate professional for an appointment.
- Leave a reachable phone number with your Realtor if you are leaving town, even for just a weekend.
Follow these home staging tips to create the best first impression of your house. If the process feels overwhelming, The Mavins Group can help — they’re experts in home staging. Call today for a free, one-hour consultation, 908-233-6200.