The Downtown Westfield Corporation is hosting its annual Sweet Sounds Downtown Jazz Festival. Come celebrate the 16thAnniversary this year with nine nights of finger snapping and feet tapping every Tuesday beginning July 3 through August 28 from 7:00 to 9:00 pm (Wed. rain dates). Rain dates will be the following Wednesday evenings at the same time. Bands will be located on Central Avenue next to Banana Republic, the lawn in front of the North Avenue Train Station, the corner of East Broad and Prospect Streets, and Elm Street in front of the Baptist Church.
“Sweet Sounds Downtown is extremely popular for all ages. From contemporary or traditional jazz to blues to big band, there are live performances to please everyone.” said Sherry Cronin, DWC Executive Director. “The event is great for businesses downtown on Tuesday night.” According to Beth Brenner, Assistant Executive Director, “We have a mix of great bands which played in past festivals as well as new bands this year. Sweet Sounds has become so popular that we have to turn away many talented groups.”
The Sweet Sounds Downtown Jazz Festival schedule of performers is as follows:
Tuesday, July 3:
- Don Braden/Karl Latham Big Funk - Central Ave
- Bill Wurtzel Trio with Ed Finkel & Jay Leonhart - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Richard Reiter Swing Band - Elm Street
- Stringbean and The Stalkers - North Ave.
Tuesday, July 10:
- David Aaron Quintet - Central Ave.
- Chris Colaneri Quintet - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Gordon James - Elm Street
- Roxy Perry - North Ave.
Tuesday, July 17:
- Mike Kaplan Nonet - Central Ave.
- Glenn Alexander Group with Orio Apsen - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Marlene VerPlanck - Elm St.
- Chuck Lambert Band - North Ave.
Tuesday, July 24:
- Pam Purvis and the Blue Skies Band - Central Ave.
- Eric Mintel Quartet - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Bradford Hayes - Elm St.
- Watson - North Ave.
Tuesday, July 31:
- B. D. Lenz - Central Ave.
- Anthony Nelson - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Christine Spero Group - Elm St.
- Scarlett Lee Moore - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 7:
- Radam Schwartz - Central Ave.
- Groove Apparatus - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Patty Cronheim Ensemble - Elm St.
- The Joe Taino Group - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 14:
- Jazz Lobsters - Central Ave.
- Too Blue Lou and the Groove - E. Broad St. & Central Ave.
- Dave Leonhardt Trio - Elm St.
- VooDUDES - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 21:
- Lauren Shub and the Trio - Central Ave.
- Pat Cuttitta - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- La Balteuband - Elm St.
- Greg Murphy - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 28:
- Mauricio de Soussa and Bossa Brasil - Central Ave.
- Jerry Topinka - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Carrie Jackson - Elm St.
- Hammers - North Ave.
While enjoying the musical performances of “Sweet Sounds Downtown”, enjoy dining at one of Westfield’s many fine restaurants or shop and stroll through the downtown. For more information about Westfield and other downtown events taking place, call the DWC at (908) 789-9444 or pick up a free Destination Westfield brochure that includes a shopping, dining and service directory as well as an events calendar. Visit their web site at WestfieldToday.com for further details.