UNION, NJ — Five Union Public Library employees were exposed to a white powder on Wednesday morning, according to the township. A Union County HazMat team determined that the product was Adenine Sulphate, used in gardening and not considered hazardous, it said.

According to a press release from the township, the white powder was found in a returned GED prep book. Firefighters discovered the five employees exposed to the unknown product, one of whom was coughing continuously.

The fire department immediately secured access points to the building, had the building evacuated, completely searched the building and set up a victim-tracking coordinator who captured patron’s names as they exited the building, according township officials.

Sign Up for E-News

Those exposed  were separated from the rest of the people in the library and were sent to EMS for assessment and vitals, according to the township.  No injuries were reported and the township said that the five employees refused medical attention.

The scene was turned over to Union police for investigation as to who returned the book.