WESTFIELD, NJ — Around 2,000 customers remained without power in Westfield Wednesday and numerous roads were shut as the region continued its recovery from Tropical Storm Isaias.
As of 5:15 p.m., 1,645 customers in Westfield were without power with the estimated date of restoration being Monday, according to PSE&G’s outage map. They are among 20,251 of the utility's customers without power in Union County. New Jersey saw over 1.3 million power outages overnight some of which were anticipated to last for several days, Gov. Phil Murphy said.
“We hope to get 85% of the customers affected by the storm back on Friday,” said Rebecca Mazzarella, a spokeswoman for PSE&G. The estimated times for restoration shown on its outage map, PSE&G said, are based on a series of factors including damage assessment, weather hazards and road conditions.
Mayor Shelley Brindle said in a Wednesday evening update that since the storm started, the town's 911 communication center had dispatched over 300 emergency calls for service.
"Because of this large number of reports, we continue to prioritize those that present public safety risks to residents and utility crews," Brindle said in her update.
As of 5 p.m., the following roadways are impassable, authorities said:
- Boynton Avenue (1600 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Carleton Road (800 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Central Avenue (1200 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Coolidge Street (900 block) – wire(s) down
- Edgar Road (400 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Edgar Road (500 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Fairacres Avenue (800 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Kimball Avenue (200 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Kimball Avenue (900 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Otisco Drive (400 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Roger Avenue (100 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Shadowlawn Drive (800 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Talcott Road (800 block) – tree(s) down
- Tice Place (1000 block) – tree(s) down/about to fall
- Willow Grove Road (800 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- West Dudley Avenue (100 block) – wire(s) down
- Woodbrook Circle (40 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
- Wychwood Road (300 block) – tree(s) & wire(s) down
As of 5 p.m., the following roadways, which were previously impassable, are now passable, authorities said:
- Central Avenue (1000 block)
- East Broad Street (700 block)
- East Broad Street (1000 block)
- Elmer Street (100 block)
- Golf Edge (200 block)
- Springfield Avenue (500 block)
- Stoneleigh Park
- Woodmere Drive (900 block)
As of 5 p.m., the following traffic lights are functioning on emergency power, authorities said:
- Central Avenue/Cacciola Place/Park Street
- Central Avenue/Grove Street
- Central Avenue/Clifton Street/Sycamore Street
- Springfield Avenue/Cardinal Drive
Across Union County
Power, which went out at the Union County Complex in Elizabeth Tuesday, has since been restored, county officials said on Twitter.
Train service along the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line has resumed, according to NJ Transit. Rail tickets and passes are being cross-honored on NJ Transit bus, light rail, private carriers and PATH trains, the agency said.
The National Weather Service recorded winds of up to 68 mph at Newark Airport Tuesday evening. Union County saw just over 1 inch of rainfall, with reports of 1.06 inches at Newark Airport and 1.3 inches in Roselle Park, according to the National Weather Service.
Are you a business interested in reaching our audience? Contact Jackie Lieberman at email@example.com.