WESTFIELD, NJ — For their summer project, the Westfield Boosters Association, in partnership with the Westfield Board of Education, financed major improvements to the Westfield High School gymnasium.

Renovations cost in excess of $80,000, 90 percent of which was funded by donations from the Boosters, with the other 10 percent came from the BOE. The project began on July 13 and will be completed by August 25, according to Westfield High School Athletic Director Sandra Mamary.

So far, the gym floor has been sanded down to its original hardwood and fresh blue court lines, along with an oversized “W” expanding outside the center circle, have been painted. New royal blue padding will be installed, too. The walls above the padding were painted white to “brighten up the gym,” according to Mamary.

Sign Up for E-News

The inside of the basketball key, formerly solid blue, will now be left open and unpainted.

The new design and overall progress of the project is result of the collaboration of the BOE Facilities Committee, the school district administration, Booster Association Project Manager Frank Fusaro, Mamary and WHS Head of Maintenance Mike Morris.

The current floor is over 10 years old, and renovations can be made now that the school roof has been replaced and no longer leaks, according to Mamary.

“We want our kids and our community to be proud of our facilities,” Mamary said. “If you play in a nice, clean, fresh environment, it feels good … I hope every kid can’t wait to go into that gym.”

Past renovation projects by the Boosters and the BOE include the WHS fitness center and the locker rooms at Kehler Fieldhouse. Future projects are being planned to renovate the wrestling gym and “Gym 5” at the high school.

Mack Liederman is a senior at Westfield High School participating in a student journalism program with TAP into Westfield