WESTFIELD, NJ — An elderly woman died Tuesday morning after a 2-alarm fire at a condo in the Wychwood Gardens co-op community on Sandra Circle, according to the Westfield Fire Department. Her name has not been released. The victim lived alone, according to officials.
Westfield firefighters got the call at 5 a.m. and arrived at 57 Sandra Circle, Apt. 57 C, at 5:04 a.m., Westfield Fire Chief David Kelly said. He said that firefighters found the woman inside and, with help from EMS, tried unsuccessfully to revive her.
In addition to unit 57 C, three other condos are now uninhabitable due to smoke damage, Kelly said. Red Cross was helping the four adult residents of those units find temporary housing.
A cigarette may have been the cause.
“We cannot rule out improperly discarded smoking materials,” Kelly said.
A joint investigation by the Westfield Fire Department, Westfield Police Department, Union County Fire Investigation Unit and the Union County Sheriff’s Office determined that the fire was accidental, he said.
Westfield firefighters received assistance on the scene from Cranford, Springfield, Union and Roselle fire departments and Union County and Westfield EMS.