This is a very exciting time – a time to plan for a new chapter in Westfield’s future!
Hopefully, you’ve heard by now that we have officially kicked off the public input portion of our Master Plan Reexamination and our Strategic Parks Plan, which means that the time has come to provide your feedback and have your voice heard. Whether your concerns are related to parking, development, historic preservation, recreation facilities, or other areas, the updated Master Plan and new Parks Plan should be a reflection of the community at large and the will of its residents, not something that is decided within the walls of Town Hall.
That being said, I want to make sure that everyone knows about their opportunities to participate in the upcoming Community Workshops. These interactive public forums, to be hosted by our contractors (H2M and Brandstetter Carroll) are for residents, business owners and other stakeholders to be part of the planning process.
These Community Workshops for the public will be held on the following dates:
- Thursday, March 21, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. at the Edison Intermediate School cafeteria (Master Plan Reexamination only)
- Wednesday, April 3, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. at the Town Hall Community Room (Master Plan Reexamination and Strategic Parks Plan)
- Wednesday, April 24, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. at the Edison Intermediate School cafeteria (Master Plan Reexamination and Strategic Parks Plan)
- Monday, April 29, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. at the Town Hall Community Room (Master Plan Reexamination only)
- Sunday, May 5, Spring Fling (Master Plan Reexamination only)
In addition to the Community Workshops, don’t forget to take the online surveys as well, which can be found at www.westfieldnj.gov/futurewestfield and www.westfieldnj.gov/parksplan – both of which will remain open until Sept. 3.
One of the areas I’ve focused on since taking office is cultivating community engagement because it brings out the best in our town and invites a wide diversity of ideas – all with the common goal of improving Westfield. I know how fortunate we are to live in a town where residents care deeply about their community, and I invite you to bring that knowledge, experience and passion to our Master Plan Reexamination and Strategic Parks Plan call to action – Westfield’s Future: Plan it. Live it. Love it.
Mayor Shelley Brindle