Lindabury Legal Corner

The ABC’s of Obtaining U.S. Citizenship for your Grandchildren


If you have an adult U.S. citizen child living abroad, there is a little-known immigration law that will likely be very relevant to you, either now or in the future. In general, if a U.S. citizen is living overseas, he or she must be able to establish sufficient “physical residence” in the United States in order to transmit U.S. citizenship to a child born to him or her while living overseas. The “physical residence” requirements specify that the U.S. citizen parent must be able to establish through documentary evidence that he or she resided in the U.S. for at least five years, two of which were after the age of fourteen (14). U.S. citizens who can produce evidence of sufficient U.S. physical residence prior to moving overseas can register their foreign-born children at the U.S. Embassy and then obtain a Certificate of Birth Abroad. These foreign-born children are then U.S. citizens from birth.

There are circumstances, however, where the U.S. citizen parent cannot establish the requisite five years physical presence and thus cannot transmit U.S. citizenship to the foreign-born child.  Many adult U.S. citizens have been living abroad since early childhood or their teens and cannot meet the five year residence requirement, particularly the requirement of having physically resided in the United States for at least two years after age fourteen. If the U.S. adult citizen does not possess the required five years of physical presence in the United States, then no Certificate of Birth Abroad will be issued by the Department of State.

All hope is not lost. There is still a mechanism for obtaining U.S. citizenship for this foreign-born child. If you are the grandparent of this child and you are a U.S. citizen, your adult son or daughter can piggyback onto your “physical presence” in the U.S. and thereby obtain citizenship for your grandchild. This process can be accomplished by filing the N-600K Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322 with the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). This application by the adult U.S. parent living overseas, is filed in the United States with the USCIS, requesting that the foreign-born child be granted a Certificate of Citizenship based upon the grandparent’s five or more years of physical presence in the United States. Proof of the required five years physical residence can be established through school records, medical records, housing information, banking and tax documentation, correspondence, etc.

Sign Up for E-News

After the N-600K application is filed with the USCIS and adjudicated, the U.S. citizen parent and the grandchild(ren) are then scheduled for an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in their country of residence in order to make the final steps towards obtaining the Certificate of Citizenship. Once the U.S. Embassy finalizes the processing of the case, the U.S. citizen parent and the sponsored child are then able to enter the U.S. for an appointment at a local USCIS office in order to be interviewed and granted the Certificate of Citizenship. Upon approval at the local USCIS office, the child is then given a Certificate of Citizenship which confers immediate U.S. citizenship status on the child and allows the child to apply for and receive a U.S. passport. The child is then entitled to all the benefits and rights of a U.S. citizen. An important note: In order to take advantage of this process, the N-600K must be filed, processed and approved, and the child must obtain the Certificate of Citizenship all prior to turning eighteen (18) years of age.

The N-600K Application is a means of obtaining citizenship for your grandchildren when your own U.S. adult children cannot transmit citizenship themselves. This is an extremely valuable option available to U.S. grandparents and one that should be seriously considered if you want your grandchildren to have the advantage of U.S. citizenship. The most important rule to remember is to make certain that you have enough documentary evidence to establish your own physical presence in the U.S. Once you have that evidence in hand, you are well on the road towards obtaining citizenship for your grandkids.


Lindabury, McCormick, Estabrook & Cooper is a mid-sized general practice law firm providing quality legal services to businesses and individuals throughout New Jersey and the Mid-Atlantic region. Our attorneys provide vigorous and cost-effective counsel to help clients meet their personal and professional objectives. Learn more about all of the services Lindabury provides by visiting www.Lindabury.Law.

The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of or anyone who works for is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.

TAP Into Another Town's News:

You May Also Be Interested In

Sign Up for E-News


Video: Union County Celebrates Pride Month with CommUNITY PRIDE Day Picnic

June 18, 2018

RAHWAY, NJ — Parents, children, friends and all family members came out on Saturday afternoon to Rahway River Park for the Union County CommUNITY PRIDE Day Picnic.

The family-friendly celebration hosted by the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders was a day of arts and crafts, family lawn games, inflatable bounce houses, playground fun and more, along with music by the rock ...

Westfield 20/20 Endorses Tom Malinowski for Congress

June 18, 2018

The upcoming congressional election is not a typical midterm. We, as a country, are in a state of crisis. We need strong leaders to hold the current White House administration accountable on important policy matters such as healthcare, the environment, gun violence, and the rights of women.

Throughout his candidacy, Tom Malinowski has demonstrated intellect, conviction, and strength. As a ...

Upcoming Events


Tue, June 19, 7:00 PM

Westfield Municipal Building, Westfield

Westfield Town Council Meeting

Community Calendar Government


Tue, June 19, 7:30 PM

BOE Administration Building, Westfield

Regular Meeting of Board of Education of Westfield


Westfield Police Blotter: Tires Slashed on Scotch Plains Ave & More

June 13, 2018

June 6, 2018 3:05 p.m.

A resident of the 200 block of sunset avenue reports being the victim of a fraud. Unknown actor(s) utilized victims credit card to purchase an appliance valued at $1,000.00. Victim did not sustain any monetary loss during this incident. 

June 6, 2018 6:50 a.m.

A resident of the 100 block of Scotch Plains Avenue reports being the victim of a criminal mischief.

Westfield Historic Preservation Commission Presents Devlin Awards

June 18, 2018

The Westfield Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) presented its Harry Devlin Awards for outstanding efforts in restoring, expanding or updating older properties to 12 property owners at a reception in the Community Room of town hall on Thursday, June 14.  A special award was given to Helaine Donnelly and Pat Velderman in recognition of their work to establish the Kimball Avenue ...

33 Homes Sold June 10 to June 17 in Westfield, Scotch Plains, Fanwood, Mountainside & Cranford

Thirty-three Homes sold from June 10 to June 17, 2018, in Westfield, Scotch Plains, Fanwood, Cranford and Mountainside.*


TOWN         ADDRESS                      STYLE    ...

Westfield 3rd Graders Receive Top Honors at Mock Trial Competition

Westfield third graders recently received top honors for three mock court cases they presented at the New Jersey Bar Foundation Law Fair.

“I am proud that, out of 84 entries submitted, our third grade students (now fourth graders) in the Gifted Program have won 1st Place, 2nd Place and Honorable Mention in the 3rd Grade category [of the Law Fair ...

How Divorce or Separation Impacts Your Financial Life

Undeniably, divorce will have a significant effect on your life and especially your finances. There are around 800,000 divorces in the United States each year, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Here's how to enter into the situation financially informed.

Know The Costs Sooner Rather Than Later
It’s never too early to gather information on how much money ...

Maximizing Your Portfolio’s Returns -- Beware the Taxman

The old adage in the investment world is that it is not what you make, but what you keep that counts.  Investors often overlook the ultimate deflator of portfolio returns – the taxman. An astute global asset allocation should be the number one priority for investors.  However, there are preferred ways to distribute this asset allocation over the spectrum of taxable and ...


In honor of the Lubavitcher Rebbe's (of righteous memory) 24th  Yahrtzeit (anniversary of his passing) this coming Saturday the 16th.

Excerpts from an address given by Nobel-laureate Elie Wiesel on April 7, 1992, at a congressional dinner held in Washington on the occasion of the Rebbe's 90th birthday.

Some of you are aware of my admiration, not only ...

Healthy U Spring Symposium Marks 10 Years of Community Impact

WESTFIELD, NJ — More than 100 Healthy U champions and partners from YMCAs and schools from all over the state gathered at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford on May 18 to celebrate 10 years of community impact. Healthy U was also formally presented with the 2017 CATCH® Award for Excellence in State Health. 

CATCH (Coordinated Approach to Child Health) is the ...

Is Summer Camp the Right Choice for My Child?

Is your child attending camp this summer? Is it their first experience away?  If yes, it can be an experience causing anxiety for you, for the parent and the child. 

This experience can be frightening to your child if it is their first time and it is so important that they do not see your worry or anxiety about leaving home for the first time… especially if it is sleep ...


AtlantiCast: Episode 16

Summer is in the air, and the latest episode of AtlantiCast is ready to help you enjoy some fun outdoors while staying safe! This week’s episode opens with tips for sunscreen usage from Atlantic Health System’s Chief Medical and Academic Officer, Dr. Jan Schwarz-Miller. You’ll also learn about how Atlantic Health System is advancing the future of health care through ...

Bridgewater Mall Shut Down for 2 Hours After Fight Breaks Out

June 14, 2018

BRIDGEWATER, NJ — No injuries have been reported after a fight involving a crowd of people shut down the Bridgewater Commons Mall for two hours Thursday evening.

According to a Nixle alert from the Bridgewater Township Police Department at 9 p.m., the investigation at the mall has been completed, and the mall was resuming normal business operations.

According to Somerset County ...


Eric Lieberman, 47, of Scotch Plains, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly Tuesday, May 22, 2018 ...
Read more