Quimby Street's one-way setup restarts Friday.
WESTFIELD, NJ — You’re going to like the way it looks.
Such is the message from Downtown Westfield Corporation on the return of ‘Open Quimby,’ a pedestrian plaza the special improvement district announced will feature enhanced aesthetics, expanded outdoor dining and retail space, and entertainment.
The season is set to kick off on Friday, April 30, at 5 p.m. with a ribbon cutting ceremony and reception hosted by the mayor, town council members and the board of Downtown Westfield Corporation, the DWC said in a news release.
The town first implemented Open Quimby in 2020 in response to the restrictions placed on retail and restaurant establishments arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
“It was critically important last year to provide outdoor space in our downtown to allow residents and visitors to dine outside and safely congregate in small groups,” said Bob Zuckerman, executive director of the DWC. “While some of those restrictions have been eased, the pedestrian plaza concept proved so popular that the DWC voted to bring the plaza back again this year.”
Officials said this year’s version of Open Quimby will be significantly enhanced from last year, with the advent of new tents for outdoor dining and activities, bistro lighting anticipated to illuminate the plaza, and aesthetic features such as a newly installed sign pole displaying the distance between Quimby Street and local and international destinations.
“I am thrilled that Open Quimby is returning for another great season,” said Mayor Shelley Brindle in the release. “Throughout the pandemic, our local businesses have shown such resiliency and dedication, and Open Quimby is a great community asset to assist in supporting them.”
Open Quimby will feature the following entertainment and programming, the DWC said:
- Live music will be performed on Friday and Saturday nights, weather permitting.
- The Sweet Sounds Downtown Music Festival is planned to return on Tuesdays, 7 – 9 p.m. in July and August. Performers will be at three spots: Quimby Street., Central Avenue, and Foundation Park on South Avenue West.
- The Midday Madness Clue Hunt happening May 1 is a family-friendly activity that requires the players to decipher clues that lead them to various locations throughout Downtown Westfield. Register at WestfieldToday.com.
- Westfield Wellness Week to be held May 14 to 21 will feature healthy choices from Downtown Westfield restaurants and promotions from health and wellness businesses.
- Weekend Fitness Classes start May 1
- Bring a mat, mask and water to Quimby Street and enjoy an outdoor class from Satsang Yoga 10 a.m. on Sundays; register at www.satsangyogastudio.com.
- Brassy Buddha Yoga (10 a.m. on Saturdays and 8:30 a.m. on Sundays; contact Brandi to register at email@example.com
- Barre3 (9 a.m. on Saturdays; register at https://linktr.ee/barre3westfield).
Starting Friday, April 30, Quimby Street will become a one-way thoroughfare, with cars moving in the direction from Central Avenue to Elm Street. One-way traffic will flow on this side of Quimby seven days a week.
The eight non-angled parking spots on the north side of the street will be open seven days a week for 15-minute curbside pickup and delivery vehicles only, which will be strictly enforced by the Westfield Police Department.
For more information on Open Quimby’s programming as the season unfolds, visit westfieldtoday.com.
Read More Westfield NJ Local News
MORE: Medical Aesthetics Practice Debuts in Westfield. Former RHONJ Star on Hand
MORE: Westfield Ranks Among 50 Safest Cities in NJ, SafeWise Study Says
MORE: Selfie Stations NJ: ‘New Jersey’s First Selfie Museum’ Opens in Westfield
Are you a business interested in reaching our audience? Contact Jackie Lieberman at firstname.lastname@example.org.