WESTFIELD, NJ — Quarantine hair is perhaps not the direst of issues on folks minds these days, but it’s certainly a common one.
That’s why Daniel Tschopp, or “Dan Tee,” of Dan DanTee Hair Architects in Westfield is one of many local businesses who will be presenting as part of the Downtown Westfield Corporation’s “Virtual Girls’ Night In,” the social distancing-friendly version the annual Girls’ Night Out.
Among the tips Tschopp will be offering during the event to be livestreamed on Facebook and offered on Zoom will be how to color your hair roots with eyebrow pencils while hair salons are closed due to COVID-19. Tschopp recommends this less permanent option over picking hair coloring at a pharmacy.
“It’s a much better alternative than to simply pick up a hair color where you don’t know what the shade of that color is,” Tschopp said.
Bob Zuckerman, executive director of the DWC, noted that Girls’ Night Out has been popular in Westfield since 2011, with up to 1,500 women visiting the downtown each year. This year, the challenge is COVID-19 and keeping social distances.
“COVID-social distancing necessitated the rethinking of the event,” Zuckerman said in a news release. “Ed Menapace and Bill Curtis, owners of The Farmhouse Store, approached us with their idea, and we got right on board. It’s what Downtown Westfield needs right now.”
The DWC is encouraging women to “put more social in your social distancing” by setting up a private video party with friends on the evening of May 28, the DWC announced.
Downtown Westfield merchants will offer cocktails, food packages and activities to use on the video parties so the group can have a shared fun experience, organizers said.
The Girls’ Night In Pre Party will be a streamed Facebook Live event on May 28 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Downtown Westfield’s Facebook page (@Westfield NJ – Downtown) or by Zoom by registering here.
“The Girls’ Night In Pre Party will be an entertaining way for merchants to promote their party packages and activities,” Zuckerman said. “They’ll demonstrate how to use them, interact with the panelists and introduce challenges, like perfecting a Quarantini cocktail, make your own sushi and Instagram-worthy cheese plates. All of the items for the challenges are available from merchants in town.”
There will also be prizes. Until May 28, receipts from downtown Westfield businesses can be emailed to GirlsNightIn@WestfieldToday.com to enter a drawing for a $50 gift card to the store where the purchase was made. A complete list of downtown Westfield merchants is on www.WestfieldToday.com.
Zuckerman will host the event along with Mayor Shelley Brindle, Councilmembers Dawn Mackey and Linda Habgood and Les Trent, a Westfield resident and senior correspondent on CBS’s Inside Edition.
What should you expect for the Girls’ Night In PreParty on Facebook Live & Zoom?
Downtown Westfield merchants will help get ladies ready for their party with live demos on how to achieve the most stylish quarantine hair, makeup and accessories, organizers said.
Participants can partake in foodie challenges, learn to make cocktails with swagger and cheese plates with finesse, organizers said.
Here’s the line-up of participating businesses, according to the DWC:
- Patricia & Paul has teamed up with the Manatakis Girls, winners of Family Food Showdown on Food Network for a Girls Night In cooking class. They will share three of their favorite go-to Greek appetizers; Spicy Feta Dip, Secret Family Greek Meatballs and Garlic Beet Potato Dip. Buy the essential ingredients kit from Patricia & Paul to receive a Zoom link to join in on the fun with a Live cooking class on May 28 from 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. One lucky Zoom participant will win a $50 gift card at the end of the night! (Recipe cards and shopping list are included so you can cook along with Chef Soph, Mamma Manatakis and Marina.
- Tim Boyle from 16 Prospect will lead participants in making a bartender-approved Quarantini–pick up everything you need in 16 Prospect's Quarantini Kit.
- Kiera, a celebrity makeup artist, shares how to achieve on-trend contouring and highlighting, using her contouring/highlighting kits in light/medium/dark from Blende.
- Lillian from Akai Lounge wants to know if you have what it takes to roll Instagramable sushi. Take the Akai Lounge Nail That Sushi Challenge using their Make Your Own Sushi Party Kit. Tag your masterpiece at #NailedMySushi @Akai_Lounge #GirlsNightInWestfield and you could be deemed the winner.
- Could your house use a refresh? Ed from The Farmhouse Store will show how to buy furniture that suits your style now, even during the quarantine.
- Janus will auction of new Salvatore Ferragamo bag from Janus’ Closet, with proceeds going to the We Love Local fund.
- Laura from Farniolio Cucina will lead us in a Tuscan cooking lesson using Farniolio Ingredient Kit.
- Terri from J. McLaughlin will show their “Upperwear,” spring tops and the newest trend — how to wear scarves in your hair. One lucky viewer will win a J. McLaughlin scarf.
- Claudia from Elegant Image Salon will show you ten stylish ways to hide your gray roots — including her professionally mixed home hair coloring kit.
- Miriam & Hillary will demonstrate the essential elements and assembly to make a photo-worthy snack. Mimi & Hill Cheese Board Design Kit has everything you need from stylish handmade trays, cheese knives, all the snacks and wine pairing recommendations from NosVino.
- Dan from DanTee Hair Architects will present simple solutions to make peace with your “au naturale” quarantine hair using products you may already have at home.
- Valencia Music School will get the party started with a live Ukulele lesson and sing along with owners Kelly and Jose. Virtual group lesson packages are available for your next party. Send in your party song requests for a live music set after the sing-along. Ukuleles in the $50 range are available for curbside pickup John from Golden Age on E. Broad Street. Call 908-301-0001, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read More Westfield NJ Local News
Are you a business interested in reaching our audience? Contact Jackie Lieberman at email@example.com.