WESTFIELD, NJ — The online polls are open in the town’s second annual contest of gingerbread building.
Eight gingerbread structures are on display at shop fronts throughout the downtown, including a replica of Lion’s Roar Brewery, the Rialto Theatre and one showing a British soldier aiming a musket at a villager in the year 1857.
“We had amazing contributions this year but the late Thanksgiving prohibited the robust entries we saw last year,” said Councilwoman Dawn Mackey, the contest’s principal organizer. “Once again, I’m amazed at the talent and generosity of our residents.”
Savory Spice Shop served as the drop off location for entries. “The ones that came in are great,” manager Marty Silverman said. “They are really, really nice.”
These retailers are displaying the following gingerbread structures in their storefronts, the town announced:
- Savory Spice Shop, 138 E Broad St: Happy Hanukkah and Iconic Westfield Shopping
- Brunner Opticians, 100 East Broad St., Westfield: Lions Roar
- Ortho-Care, 10 Prospect St.: Save the Rialto
- Ono Bowls, 107 Quimby St.: Lincoln School Playground and Whoville
- Columbia Bank, 251 North Avenue West: The Union County Seal (Includes British soldier aiming at villager)
- N & C Jewelers, 102 Quimby St.: Arcanum Hall
Members of the public may cast votes by visiting the “2019 Gingerbread House Voting Booth” here on the town's website.
Winners will be announced in the categories of Grand Prize, Kids Only Effort (14-year-old and younger), Family Effort and Iconic Westfield Building at the Town Council’s annual reorganization meeting to be held Tuesday, Jan. 7, at 6:30 p.m.
Email Matt Kadosh at firstname.lastname@example.org | Twitter: @MattKadosh