WAYNE, NJ — A township man was arrested last week in connection with the strangling of a Burger King employee on Route 23 South, police said.

A fellow employee intervened during the assault and the suspect fled. He was later found and arrested by Wayne Police, according to police.

Detective Captain Dan Daly said video footage from the Burger King security cameras showed two scenes on Saturday.

Sign Up for Westfield Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Earlier, the suspect, later identified as David Sivertsen, of Wayne, was seen on camera arguing with employees of the Burger King about having to wear a mask in the restaurant. The Wayne Police Department was called, but the suspect had left before they arrived, Daly said.

The second scene from the security footage showed the suspect returning to Burger King, approaching a female employee, immediately wrapping both hands around her neck and strangling her, Daly said.

The male suspect outweighed the female victim “by 80 pounds,” according to Daly.

“The attack only ended when another female employee intervened and the suspect fled," he added.

Once again the Wayne PD patrol officers arrived and the suspect was gone, but it wasn’t long before a Wayne patrol officer found a man who matched the description of the suspect seated in a driveway on the Newark-Pompton Turnpike, police said. It was Sivertsen.

“You got me,” Sivertsen was reported to have said to the officer when he was approached.

“The suspect was agitated and appeared to be under the influence of alcohol,” Daly said. “The officer detained him and the victim was brought to his location. She identified him as the man who had assaulted her. The suspect was then placed under arrest.”

The victim of the attack complained of pain but declined transport to a hospital.

“Siversten was charged with Aggravated Assault on a complaint warrant,” Daly said. “He became uncooperative during processing and injured himself by intentionally slamming his head into the steel bench to which he was handcuffed.”

Siversten was transported to a hospital and once medically cleared, was transported to Passaic County Jail pending a hearing.