WESTFIELD, NJ — Firefighters responding to a residential alarm quickly put down a blaze that started in a home on South Euclid Avenue, fire officials said Saturday.

Crews entering the home Thursday evening found that a couch had caught fire because it was too close to a space heater, the Westfield FMBA Local 30 said in a social media post. Crews contained the fire to the furniture without it extending to the home, fire officials said.

“This is a reminder how important working smoke detectors are and reinforces why space heaters need to be kept far enough away from furniture, upholstery and anything flammable,” the officials said.

Sign Up for Westfield Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The residents were not home at the time, fire officials said.

The fire on South Euclid Avenue follows a blaze that engulfed an attached garage on Sunnywood Drive Wednesday.

Read More Westfield NJ Local News

MORE: Mayor: Another Person in Westfield Taken by Virus as COVID Activity Declines
MORE: Lions Roar Brewing Sees High Demand in ‘Beer Thirsty’ Westfield



Find TAPinto Westfield on FacebookTwitter and Instagram. Sign up for email news alerts and Download the TAPinto mobile app for Android or iOS.

Are you a business interested in reaching our audience? Contact Jackie Lieberman at jlieberman@tapinto.net.