WESTFIELD, NJ — (Updated at 6:13 p.m.) A husband, wife and their cat escaped a two-alarm fire that burned through their home at 425 West Grove Street Thursday morning.

The couple, who were being attended to in an ambulance, were not injured in the blaze, a family member said.

Pete Birle, who lives across the street, said he had seen flames shooting out of a second-floor window shortly after 10 a.m. The owners were already outside by the time crews arrived, Birle said.

Sign Up for Westfield Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze within 30 minutes, officials said. In addition to Westfield firefighters, crews from Springfield and Cranford were called to the scene.

The home remains uninhabitable, said Kim Forde, the town's spokeswoman. Authorities believe an electrical malfunction caused the blaze, which they have determined was accidental, Forde said.

It marked the second fire in Westfield within two days following a fire that burned the exterior of a home on Lawrence Avenue Wednesday.

Email Matt Kadosh at mkadosh@tapinto.net | Twitter: @MattKadosh

MORE: Westfield Residents Flock to Get Tested After Uptick in Cases Among Young, Mayor Says
MORE: TAPinto Westfield Profiling Those Lost to COVID-19. Submit a Family Member's Name.