WESTFIELD, NJ – Firefighters quickly extinguished two small blazes that occurred in the downtown during one of the busiest shopping days of the year, a fire official said Monday.
At about 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, a grease fire erupted in a second-floor kitchen of Ferraro’s Restaurant at 14 Elm St., Deputy Fire Chief Anthony Tiller said.
Firefighters contained the blaze to the kitchen, and the restaurant reopened later that evening following a health department inspection, Tiller said.
Later that evening, he said, firefighters extinguished a blaze that erupted in a dumpster in an alleyway on Quimby Street.
There were no injuries in either incident, Tiller said. Authorities closed Elm Street between North Avenue and Broad Street for a short time, he said.
Email Staff Writer Matt Kadosh at email@example.com; Follow him on Twitter: @MattKadosh