WESTFIELD, NJ – With the combination of the annual Pizza Run and the Sweet Sounds Downtown Music Festival Wednesday, navigating the downtown will be more complex than usual.
The 5K race typically draws more than 2,400 runners from the region, according to the Downtown Westfield Corporation, which notes thousands of spectators are expected to enjoy the atmosphere and live music.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Quimby Street will close 1:30 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Elm Street between Westfield North Avenue and East Broad Street will close 2:15 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- East Broad Street between Westfield North Avenue and Central Avenue will shut 6:15 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Other residential streets closing as a result of the race will close 5 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Police said vehicles located within the perimeter of the marked course route will have to park their vehicles outside the affected area or owners will be prohibited from moving them until the race is completed.
“If said vehicles are not being used during these times, they can remain, as long as they are not in violation of any state or local parking statutes,” police said. “Detours routes are provided for affected travel routes. Vehicular traffic will be strictly prohibited within the course route.”
Residents parked outside the course route, but within a barricaded area, do not have to move their vehicles, police said. However, they must follow the detour routes when exiting the area, police said.
Updates will be posted to the town's website here.
Sherry Cronin, executive director of Downtown Westfield Corporation, said about 1,900 people had registered for the race as of the closing for registration Monday at midnight.
The race schedule is as follows:
- 5 – 6:45 p.m. shirt and bib-tag pickup
- 7 p.m. 5K-race start
- 7:45 p.m. Awards and pizza party