WESTFIELD, NJ — (Updated at 2:39 p.m.) The town’s Police Department has advised the public to stay off the roadways as a tropical storm bears down on the region.
Authorities are reporting trees and branches down throughout Westfield after forecasters predicted winds from 35 to 45 mph with the potential of reaching 73 mph.
As of 2:30 p.m., 3,533 customers in Westfield are without power, according to PSE&G's outage map.
The utility had warned that Isiais comes on the heels of other storms, which saturated the ground, making it easier for trees to become uprooted.
By 2 p.m. a live wire had fallen and was seen burning in front of the firehouse on Central Avenue. The fire is seen in video posted by a resident to social media.
"It’s really bad. The other side is also smoking like crazy," said resident Angela Tong.
At 2:29 p.m., the town advised of the following road closures due to downed trees and wires:
- Central Avenue (vicinity of Sycamore/Clifton and additional points further south)
- Springfield Avenue (vicinity of Nomehegan Pool)
- East Broad Street (vicinity of Jefferson Avenue)
- Lamberts Mill Road (vicinity of Tamaques Park entrance near Lambert Circle)
- Edgar Road (vicinity of Lynwood and Hyslip)
The Weather Service had warned of the potential for flooding.
“Several places may experience expanded areas of rapid inundation at underpasses, low-lying spots and poor drainage areas,” forecasters said. “Some streets and parking lots take on moving water as storm drains and retention ponds overflow.”
Union County in a Tweet advised the public to only use 911 for life threatening emergencies so as not to overwhelm the system.
TROPICAL STORM ISAIAS: Residents are reminded to only use 911 for life-threatening emergencies so as to not overwhelm the system. Call your local police departments to report downed trees and power lines. Power outages should be reported directly to your power company, not to 911 pic.twitter.com/odABXto1ob— County of Union, New Jersey (@countyofunionnj) August 4, 2020
New Jersey remains under a state of emergency.
Click here to report a power outage and view PSE&G’s outage map or call the utility at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).
Other utilities serving Westfield may be reached at the following numbers:
- Elizabethtown Gas: 1-800-242-5830
- Comcast: 1-800-266-2278
- Verizon FiOS: 1-888-438-3467
- New Jersey American Water: 1-800-272-1325
The town advised residents to take the following precautions:
- Charge all phones and devices.
- Secure outdoor furniture and garbage/recycling bins.
- Do not approach downed wires.
- In an emergency, dial 911.
- For downed tree limbs, storm drain overages, and other non-emergency issues, call 908-789-4000.
Email Matt Kadosh at firstname.lastname@example.org | Twitter: @MattKadosh
Read More Westfield NJ Local News
MORE: What Will School Look Like for Westfield Students This Fall?
MORE: Lord & Taylor Bankruptcy Comes as Westfield Sets up for Site Redevelopment
MORE: Brothers From Westfield Reunited on Field for Major League Lacrosse’s Denver Outlaws