Westchester County’s Department of Environmental Facilities will conduct the first Household Recycling Day event of 2019 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, April 6, at FDR State Park, 2957 Crompond Road in Yorktown Heights.
In addition to properly labeled household chemicals and other special wastes found in a typical household, residents can bring documents for shredding and expired or unwanted medications for disposal.
Generally, the following items are accepted for safe disposal or recycling:
- Properly labeled household chemicals, such as:
- Household cleaning products
- Most automotive fluids (antifreeze, brake fluid, gasoline but not motor oil)
- Flammable liquids (kerosene, butane, lighter fluid, turpentine)
- Metal, jewelry and furniture polishes and waxes; wood preservatives
- Fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides
- Photographic and swimming pool chemicals
- Batteries—only vehicle, rechargeable, or button cell
- Fluorescent light bulbs & CFLs
- Fire extinguishers
- BBQ propane tanks (up to 20 lbs.)
- Mercury-containing devices (thermometers and thermostats)
- Electronic waste (TVs, computer monitors and, towers)
- Expired or unwanted medications, both OTC and prescription
- Personal documents for shredding (limit of four file-size boxes per household)
Items that will not be accepted and should not be brought to the Household Recycling Day include paint (both latex and oil), non-rechargeable alkaline and carbon zinc batteries (they can be safely discarded in the trash), motor oil, smoke detectors, cell phones, explosives (flares, fireworks, ammunition), construction debris and hypodermic needles. Also, waste from businesses, schools or other institutions will not be accepted.
For more information on what to bring to this event, visit westchestergov.com/recycling or call 914-813-5425.
If you can’t make it, you can still dispose of your hard-to-get-rid-of household waste by visiting the county’s Household-Material Recycling Facility (H-MRF), 15 Woods Road, Valhalla. The H-MRF is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. by appointment and accepts the same items that are accepted at the Household Recycling Day events. For more information about the H-MRF or to make an appointment, visit environment.westchestergov.com/new-h-mrf or call 914-813-5425.