YORKTOWN, N.Y. - Yorktown will receive $3.29 million in state aid to repair two culverts: $2.47 million for a Hill Boulevard culvert over Barger Brook and $820,000 for a Veterans Road culvert over Hallocks Mill.

Town engineer Michael Quinn said the town’s highway and engineering departments worked together and submitted up to five project applications for the state’s Bridge New York program.

Quinn said the state will pay for 95 percent of the Hill Boulevard culvert repair, with Yorktown paying the remaining 5 percent; the total estimated cost of the project is $2.6 million. The state will pay for 100 percent of the Veterans Road culvert repair, Quinn said.

Sign Up for E-News

“Our bridges are an integral part of everyday travel,” said state Sen. Terrence Murphy. “They help keep commerce moving through the Hudson Valley. These critically needed bridge and roadway projects will ensure driver safety and help support New York’s long-term economic vitality.”

The Hill Boulevard project involves the replacement of the deteriorated two-span (two tubes) culvert with a pre-cast concrete, single span, three-sided structure. Built in 1960, the state now deems it “structurally deficient.” Making the proposed improvements will increase the structure’s security and hydraulic capacity for at least 75 years, Quinn said.

The culvert is close to the delivery entrance to the Jefferson Valley Mall and the road is heavily trafficked, so closing it due to poor structural integrity would not be a viable option, he said.

“If we were to close that bridge there would be a significant amount of re-routing required,” Quinn said.

For the Veterans Road project, Quinn said the corrugated metal pipes of the two-span culvert are in very bad condition and there are drainage issues on the roadway that have led to damage.

“You can actually see where there is a sinkhole opening up on the road,” he said.

Quinn said that the roadway is used to access Putnam-Northern Westchester BOCES, the North Country Trailway, a private gym, a trucking warehouse and an auto body shop. Additionally, he said, it provides primary access to a large residential neighborhood. Businesses and residents would suffer the impact if its continued deterioration required a weight restriction to be imposed or the road to be closed, Quinn said.

The grant includes the cost of roadway improvements to correct drainage issues and prevent erosion from recurring. The structure rating of the bridge will improve as well as its hydraulic capacity. The finished product is expected to last 75 years.

The criteria for selecting each bridge or culvert under the Bridge New York program includes its importance to the community, traffic volume, detour considerations, the number and types of businesses it serves, its impact on commerce and its current structural condition.

“The town, which has begun to inventory and audit its critical infrastructure needs, is thrilled to be the recipient of the grants,” said Supervisor Michael Grace. “The projects to which the grants will be applied are priority repairs necessary to keep our community safe and our local economy vibrant.”