On April 17, Guiding Eyes for the Blind, a non-profit organization dedicated to creating and supporting life-changing connections between people with vision loss and exceptional guide dogs, announced its first annual Wag-a-thon, a “virtual marathon in a month” fundraiser beginning on May 1.
The Wag-a-thon is a cumulative marathon that you and your dog can do anywhere, at your own pace over the month of May. The goal is to hit 26.2 miles by May 31 while raising funds for Guiding Eyes for the Blind. It’s an opportunity for people and dogs alike to stay active and do good, and participation is simple:
1. Sign up. Go to GuidingEyes.org/wagathon to create your fundraising page, sign up as a participant or start a team with your friends, family or coworkers.
2. Make a plan. Map out your plan to rack up 26.2 miles* over the month of May.
3. Rally support. Ask friends, family, and co-workers to support you with a donation – or to join the Wag-a-thon themselves!
4. Get social. Post your mileage updates (don’t forget the selfies!) to social media using #wagathon and your personal Wag-a-thon page.
5. Pat yourself and your pup on the back! Cross the Wag-a-thon virtual finish line by May 31.
*Psst. The mileage? It’s on the honor system. Don’t cheat. Your four-legged friends are watching!
Participants who sign up to walk or run with their dogs will receive two limited edition “race bibs” upon registration: one for him/herself, and one for his/her dog. As an added incentive, Wag-a-thoners also have the opportunity to earn prizes through their fundraising, including t-shirts, doggie bandanas and a pair of person-and-pooch “finisher” medal upon completion of the requisite 26.2 miles within the month.
“Guiding Eyes is committed to enriching the lives of people who are blind or visually impaired, including helping them achieve their health and wellness goals,” said Thomas Panek, president and CEO of Guiding Eyes for the Blind. “Whether you run a marathon in a day or spread it out over the month of May, the Wag-a-thon is a great way for us to create an ‘all-in-this-together’ community of people and dogs alike, who are joining our mission.”
The Wag-a-thon kicks off on Tuesday, May 1 and continues through Thursday, May 31. Participants can sign up online and create a fundraising page now at GuidingEyes.org/wagathon, or join the social conversation using #wagathon.
About Guiding Eyes for the Blind
Guiding Eyes for the Blind is dedicated to creating and supporting life-changing connections between people and dogs. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides superbly bred and trained dogs to people who are blind or visually impaired. Our dogs are known for their exceptional temperaments and success at helping people gain independence and to expand their horizons of opportunity.