WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – No longer will Westchester residents be caught off guard by the price of a gingerbread latte at Starbucks.
The popular coffee chain found itself in hot water over its failure to post prices on some drink offerings in January and February at 19 of its Westchester County locations, including at Commerce Street in Yorktown.
In addition to posting all prices, Starbucks will be required to pay $4,500 to the county and make a $4,500 donation to Greyston Bakery, according to an agreement reached Tuesday, June 18, with Westchester County’s Department of Consumer Protection.
Greyston Bakery is a Yonkers-based charity that is recognized for its work in rehabilitating former inmates.
“Knowing what an item costs before paying for it is a basic consumer right and Westchester’s long-established consumer laws recognize those rights,” County Executive George Latimer said in a press release. “Our objective is to make sure that consumers are in a position to make informed decisions before making a purchase.”
Jim Maisano, the county’s consumer protection director, said negotiations with Starbucks were “positive.”
“We were pleased that Starbucks worked with us and agreed to ensure that prices for all their products sold at Westchester locations will be properly displayed,” Maisano said. “We thank Starbucks for their quick action on this very important matter and appreciate their donation to the Greyston Foundation.”
The locations in violation were:
- 716 Saw Mill River Road, Ardsley
- 29 Park Place, Bronxville
- 2 South Greeley Ave., Chappaqua
- 45 Stanley Ave., Dobbs Ferry
- 280 Tarrytown Road, Elmsford
- 46 S. Central Ave., Hartsdale
- 201 East Hartsdale Ave., Hartsdale
- Ardsley Travel Plaza 87 North, Hastings on Hudson
- 1030 Boston Post Road, Mamaroneck
- 3025 East Main St., Mohegan Lake (Cortlandt)
- 41 South Moger Ave., Mount Kisco
- 1278-80 North Ave., New Rochelle
- 216 South Highland Ave., Ossining
- 975 Central Park Ave., Scarsdale
- 684 White Plains Road, Scarsdale
- 51 East Parkway, Scarsdale
- 1 Depot Square, Tuckahoe
- 200 Main St., White Plains
- 1932 Commerce St., Yorktown Heights