SOMERS, N.Y. – Host No. 3 Somers boys soccer squad got off to an early 3-0 lead against rival No. 6 Yorktown, on its way to a 7-1 victory in the Section 1 Class A quarterfinals on Oct. 26.

“As far as the run of play goes, it didn’t seem that lopsided, but they have a very lethal offense,” said Yorktown senior captain Timmy O’Callaghan. “They have a great ability to score in bunches and are very athletic up front.”

A penalty kick by O’Callaghan pulled Yorktown to within two, 3-1, with 19:34 remaining before halftime.

Sign Up for Yorktown Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

“As soon as I was fouled I knew I needed to convert in order to put us back in the game,” O’Callaghan said. “There was a ton of time left and I thought one goal could give the team a spark. Once they got the fourth, it really took the wind out of our sails.”

O’Callaghan said that he could write a novel on everything he’s going to miss about the Husker boys soccer program.

“Life during the fall these past four years have been everything I could have dreamt about,” O’Callaghan said. “Prior to high school, I was torn whether or not to leave academy to play for Yorktown, and now looking back, I definitely don’t regret it one bit.”

O’Callaghan said that his decision gave him the opportunity to create unforgettable memories in both soccer and lacrosse, with some awesome people.

“I think some of the main things I will miss about Yorktown soccer are going to practice each day with my best friends and being coached by some of the best people I’ve ever met, coach Ed (Polchinski), coach (Justin) Huff, and coach (Marcello) Spiniello,” O’Callaghan said.

Husker goalie Dylan Lopez registered 7 saves against Somers.

Yorktown won their opening-round contest against visiting No. 11 Tappan Zee, 2-1, on a goal by sophomore Jack Prybylski, with 10:44 remaining in the first overtime, assisted by O’Callaghan.

“Timmy got the ball on the wing, and put in a beautiful ball, right across the box,” Prybylski said. “I was able to finish it with the left foot. I mean, that’s the most amazing feeling in the world right there. That was incredible.”

Prybylski’s goal ignited a massive celebration with Yorktown’s boisterous student body, “The Crop,” which was in full, blackout mode.

“We have the best fan section in the whole section by far,” Prybylski said. “They support us like no other school supports their soccer team, it’s really incredible, what our fan section does for our program.”

Yorktown (13-5) controlled possession after halftime.

“Well, when they scored that first goal in the first half, we really rebounded hard, our work ethic picked up like crazy and we dominated that whole game from the second half on,” Prybylski said.

Trailing 1-0, Yorktown sophomore George Popovic tied the game, off an assist from O’Callaghan, at 1-1, with 31:13 remaining in the second half.

“Well, I mean, Timmy did his thing, he took it past three guys, and laid me off and I had to seize the opportunity,” Popovic said. “It’s so far the biggest game of our season. I saw nothing but that bottom right corner and I put it there, it was the best feeling I’ve ever had.”

After Tappan Zee scored the first goal of the game with 4:38 to go before halftime, Popovic looked like he was going to tie the contest shortly after. He appeared headed for a one on one showdown with the Tappan Zee goalie, but was called for off sides.

“I saw, I think it was Zak Stanik, had an over the top ball to me and the guy stepped off me late and I didn’t really think it was off sides but it was great pass by Zak, great heads up play,” Popovic said. “I should have watched my line better.”

Lopez made 3 saves against the Dutchmen.